Badge click, and share button, not working (v2.9)

Badge click, and share button, not working (v2.9)

by Ted Kopp -
Number of replies: 6

I just completed the Teaching with Moodle MOOC and received my Participant and Completer badges. I loaded them into my Mozilla Backpack and put the badges into a collection. When clicking on a badge, more information would appear - as expected. Also, when clicking the Share button, a link to Facebook and Twitter would appear, as expected.,

As of yesterday, this started  failing. I can no longer click on the badge on Backpack - nothing happens. When I click on the Share button, nothing happens. I am running Windows 10, using the Chrome browser. As I said, this was working OK until yesterday.

Any ideas? I really want to display my badges as part of my credentials. All help is greatly appreciated - thanks!!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ted Kopp

Re: Badge click, and share button, not working (v2.9)

by Ted Kopp -

This may be a browser / device / Windows issue!

I decided to see whether or not this works on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Android tablet - I pulled up my Backpack and all worked as expected! Pleasant surprise I went back to my PC (running Windows 10, using the Chrome browser) and this is still failing. Considering that Backpack and Firefox are both Mozilla Products, I then went into Firefox and pulled up Backpack there - and it worked OK!

In summary: This appears to fail if you are using Chrome on a PC under Windows 10. It may fail using Chrome under PC on earlier versions of Windows. Appears to work OK under Firefox, and work OK under Android on a non-PC device!

In reply to Ted Kopp

by Murugesan R -

Dear Ted Kopp,

Thanks for raising the same issue that I wanted to.

Am keen to display the earned badges at my profile in MoodleCloud account. Neither Mozilla backpack nor openpagepassport (where my badges are safely kept) is of any help!

I wonder why such a simple matter should be 'made' so complicated. I mostly use chrome. I'm not sure whether due to browser war causes all this hardship to us! smile fondly hope someone will come to help us out!

Regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan

In reply to Murugesan R

by Ted Kopp -

Dear Dr. Murugesan,

Thank you for your response!

I think others who are using Moodle and Mozilla Backpack must have complained, because all is working OK today! See if it is working OK for you now.

Best regards - Ted

P.S. - I am keeping a diary of my Moodle experiences in my blog, the Courseware Development Blog - take a look and follow if you desire!

In reply to Ted Kopp

by Murugesan R -

Dear Ted,

You're lucky!

All my 3 badges are promptly displayed at Mozilla backpack site!

Yet, even with the few buttons, I could not succeed in porting my badges to my profile at Moodlecloud. Under Badge Import Settings, I get the following prompt:

There are no public collections of badges available in your backpack.

Only public collections are shown, visit your backpack to create some public collections.  

I'm stuck as before!

I suspect the whole setting at Moodlecloud site is only for badges earned therein (to be shuffled back and forth at Mozilla backpack, and not for badges earned elsewhere, including the ones from the recently concluded Learn Moodle MOOC); wonder whether any of my course colleagues succeeded in porting the earned badge(s) to their own Moodlecloud site

If you don't mind, would appreciate if you can share the way to port the badges directly by email to drmurugesanr@gmail.com

Regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan

In reply to Murugesan R

by Ted Kopp -

The badges system is malfunctioning again.

This is what I normally do to see my badges from the Teaching with Moodle class, and what is going wrong now:

• Note: This is done from moodle.org, not from my Moodlecloud site, so I do not think this is related tio MoodleCloud
  • Click the tiny down-arrow to the right of my profile picture and select Preferences
  • Click Backpack Settings under Badges
  • Click Sign in with your Email to connect Open Backpack to Moodle - this is where the malfunction is occurring
  • I do this - normally my two badges would show after I select my badge collection. Instead, the following message occurs: You could not be connected to an external backpack for the following reason: The data return from the backpack was invalid.

This is either a Moodle problem or an Open Backpack problem, or both. Since the connection between the two appears to be real-tine, if the connection is broken, the badges  will not appear, even if they have appeared in the recent past. This is NOT a browser issue this time - it fails in Chrome and in FireFox.

I don't see a bugs or errors forum anywhere, so I am going to re-post this in General Help.

We'll get to the bottom of this!

Thanks - Ted