What got you started with Moodle?

Re: What got you started with Moodle?

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I was seconded to my local education authority to train teachers in the use of interactive whiteboards, but it was at the same time that the authority (Cardiff, Wales) was rolling out Moodle (1.8 I think) to all its Primary schools (Secondary schools already had it) so I got involved in the project, mainly as a user and as somewhere to be putting my training resources.

After the secondment I went back to a brand new school as a Deputy Head and IT coordinator and installed Moodle 1.9 as our school website and began tinkering with the theme to match our school colours. At the time I had virtually no html/php/css knowledge, but was just beginning to discover FOSS and Linux etc. and setting up my own local installs of Moodle to play with was such a great way to learn.

Asking 'how do I...' on the themes forum (with a VERY helpful and supportive Mary E!) soon led to me realising I could answer other people's questions based on what I was learning and using myself. One thing led to another until after leaving teaching, I got a job running the upgrade for my university from their (outdated by then) 1.9.3 to Moodle2.3 and essentially being the 'Moodle Ninja'.

I still don't really class myself as a developer, but a user and moodle administrator who develops a bit. Certainly I still consider myself a Moodle Learner - and I hope I always do!

Average of ratings: Very cool (2)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: What got you started with Moodle?

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Old thread but a good one just the same.

10 years ago, I looked into Blackboard because it is what is strongly being "suggested".  I was shown Moodle by the department secretary.  Never looked back....

Average of ratings: Cool (2)