[SOLVED] Blocks slip when using Clean or More Themes

[SOLVED] Blocks slip when using Clean or More Themes

by barbara nance -
Number of replies: 11

Hi

I am using Moodle 2.9 and Clean Theme. I find the blocks slip. 

I have them on the RHS but it happens when on the LHS as well. Ditto if I change to More theme.

I hope someone can help

Regards

Barbara

Blocks slip

(Edited by Mary Evans - Status update: [SOLVED] - original submission Wednesday, 9 September 2015, 11:42 AM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to barbara nance

Re: Blocks slip when using Clean or More Themes

by barbara nance -

Hi

Am wondering if there is an obvious answer to this as no-one has got back to me. I emailed the theme creators and they told me to put a query here so I do hope some-one can help! as the block slip looks bad although I have got used to it our students will not.  

I could change to a different theme, but as the term is just starting am reluctant to unless it looks pretty similar  - can anyone recommend one for 2.9 that does not have any glitches! 

Many thanks

Barbara

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Barbara,

When you emailed the theme creators, do you mean you created a Moodle Tracker as the Clean / More themes are core ones?

What customisations have you made to the theme?

The issue seems like a bodged theme hack that is breaking the Bootstrap grid.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by barbara nance -

Hi Mary and Gareth

Many thanks

In reply to your queries/suggestions:

Gareth - I emailed the address provided with Clean Theme (bas@sonsbeekmedia.nl).

Customisation: very little as I am not a coder:

I have a logo (500x66) which I had used before with my previous version when I used NonZero theme.

Custom CSS ; #page-header { background: no-repeat #00529c; height: 66px; border-bottom: 1px solid #FFF }

Mary - I am not using the My Courses block - although looks to be a good one to have.

Hope that helps

Regards

Barbara

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Any chance we can have a link to your Moodle site?

We should be able to diagnose the problem by just looking at the frontpage of the site without logging in.

Could you send a Private Message (PM) with link if possible?

Thanks

Mary

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Further to my last comment, which actual version of Moodle 2.9 are you using? I'm only asking as there has been a problem with the layout that got fixed a few weeks ago and it may be that you need to update your version of 2.9 and move to 2.9.2.

Cheers

Mary

by Mary Evans -

OK...after looking at the site it is obvious this is a theme problem brought about by the missing JavaScript that normal configures the page, such as when blocks exist but are temporarily hidden, thus leaving an empty space.

If the body classes are ignored then total chaos reigns.

I am also concerned that some CSS looks to be missing.

Your site could do with being updated which should fix the problem.

Thanks

Mary

by Mary Evans -

Hello again Barbara,

I have just found what the problem is.

It's actually the height of the page-header that is causing the problem.

You can see this if you make the #page-header { height: auto;}

Then the page springs back into the way it should be.

The best way to fix this is make the logo area as the header.

Then the page-header can go back to doing what it was meant to do and contain all the header elements like the logo and the breadcrumb plus all the other headings and contextual elements that Moodle adds to the header.

The 2.9 Logo CSS looks like this:

https://github.com/lazydaisy/moodle/blob/MOODLE_29_STABLE/theme/clean/style/custom.css

so all you need to do is remove the CSS for the page-header and style the logo with the same CSS as you did for the #page-header.

That should fix it.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by barbara nance -

Many thanks indeed for your help.

Although I have done lots with Moodle, my coding is next to xero...

As you say changing the H=auto does solve the block slippage but does also cause the header to be larger than the logo. So making the logo area as a header sound s great . but; this is where my lack of coding skills comes in.

I copied your coding example including my URL for the logo GIF and looks great! MANY many thanks indeed. I need to get my head around coding! Not averse just having the time.

Regards

Barbara

by Mary Evans -

Hi Barbara, I just took a look and it looks great...

One thing that is missing on that page is the missing CSS which is in the updated Moodle 2.9.2

However to keep your site looking good try adding this CSS to the Clean settings page (in the CSS box), should fix the look of that page.

If you have any problems just send me a message...

Cheers

Mary

.empty-region-side-pre.empty-region-side-post #region-main-box,
.empty-region-side-pre.empty-region-side-post #region-main {
    width: 100%;
 }

In reply to Mary Evans

by barbara nance -

Added and many thanks looking good!

Regards

Barbara

by Mary Evans -

It looks like it might be the Block plugin "My Courses" that is not styled correctly. If it is a fixed width then there is no provision for it in Clean or More themes...so please check that first?

Cheers

Mary