Remove blocks from Students Dashboard page

Remove blocks from Students Dashboard page

by Tim Shanks -
Number of replies: 9

How can I remove the default blocks from the default student dashboard.

I can use :

1. Access Administration > Site administration > Appearance > Default Dashboard page

To access the dashboard, but can only add blocks not delete the current ones, including Online users, Calendar, upcoming events .. as they are greyed out.

Am I missing something 

Best Regards

Tim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Shanks

Re: Remove blocks from Students Dashboard page

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim,

You definitely should be able to remove blocks from the default dashboard page as you describe. (You may like to try on our Sandbox demo site.) Have the blocks that you can't remove somehow been protected in Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Blocks > Manage blocks?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tim Shanks -

Hi Helen

Hi Helen

Thank you for responding.

Yes, works as expected on the sandbox site.

I just checked under Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Blocks > Manage blocks on my site and the blocks are not protected

I can hide the blocks here.. but of course this would affect across the whole site.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

Tim

In reply to Tim Shanks

by Dom Hede -

Hi there,

I too am also having this issue.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

In reply to Dom Hede

by Elizabeth Dalton -

I'm having this issue as well, on Moodle 2.9.3. I can hide blocks on the default dashboard page, but not for existing users, and the reset dashboard button doesn't hide the blocks for existing users. In an odd twist, reordering the blocks, e.g. moving Activities from first to last, moves the Activities below the other blocks I want to hide, but not to the bottom. So I can't even move the default blocks to a less visible place. I checked and I had locked the two blocks I'm trying to hide, but even after unlocking them I still get the same effect.

In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

by Susana L. -

I'm having this issue on Moodle 2.7.

As an admin, I created a block to appear on all users dashboard (with a warning). Then I deleted the block, and now everyone sees the block but me... ironic...

Same problem on this thread: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=319269

by Thavarajan Mathivanan -

Well i am also having the same problem for the existing users,

My moodle version is 3.1

even i remove all the permission  except teacher no body can view those blocks

Don't know how it appear for all the existing users and new users 

by Nicolas Romero -

Similar Problem here.

I want to remove the calendar from the dashboard but still give the teachers the possibility of have calendars in the courses. So the general "hide" in the plugin/blocks settings is not a solution. And settings the block invisible does not hide it for other users.

Anyway, deleting the block in appearance/standard dashboard did delete it for all users. Users are not able to edit their dashboard, so i do not know if in that case they can still add it if they want.

In reply to Nicolas Romero

by Debbie Kay -

Hi

I would like to hide the Dashboard completely (on 3.0.6) and go back to having just 'My courses' show in the drop down menu once logged in?

We do not need students to see or use the Dashboard facility at all.

Is this possible and if so, how would I achieve it?

Many thanks in advance!

In reply to Debbie Kay

by RTR Admin -

Make sure you have an account other than your admin account to check your changes. The changes to blocks appear grey in the admin account, so the administrator can see blocks even though they have been deleted from the Default Dashboard Page Screen. Make sure you are choosing the Delete option, not the Hide option.