Enroll Students Manually

Enroll Students Manually

by Paul Helleman -
Number of replies: 9

Moodle version: Moodle 2.9.1 (Build: 20150706)

Hello, 

I just installed Moodle (a few days ago) on a shared server and started with an empty database. I have created my course in Moodle that is hosted on my personal website. Everything is working well until I tried to create a class of students. I cannot find any way of adding students. The enrol students wants to search for them (screen shot below) and then they are not found but there is no option to add. At the login screen there is no option to be added as a new user.

Any help would be appreciated.

Screen Shoot

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Helleman

Re: Enroll Students Manually

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Do you mean adding students to the site as a whole? Do you want to create student accounts and then have them  be enrolled in  your class? It's worth knowing that in Moodle terms, enrolment is when you add students to a course and authentication is when you add them as new to the site. So students must be authenticated before they can be enrolled. Take a look at the Guide for new administrators and the section on Adding users.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paul Helleman -

Mary,

Thank you very much. I thought the users under administrator where for teachers. I was trying to add the students directly to the course. Your answer helped me out. Thank you for that.

If I could ask you two more questions?

I am teaching the same course to two different sections(classes). How do I create two separate classes?

Also, I have not developed the entire course yet. When I create each section will it add to the two separate classes?

Thank you,

Paul

In reply to Paul Helleman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You might like to read the documentation on Groups

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Robert Brenstein -
Groups, as suggested by Mary, is a good solution if both classes (sections) do the same stuff and at the same time. See also Groups_FAQ.

If you need more flexibility, having two separate Moodle courses might be better/easier. You create a second course under site administration, item manage courses and categories.

What you do in one course is independent from what you do in the other course. Tip: install the Sharing Cart block to make copying stuff between courses easier.

If there is a lot of overlap between courses, you could also consider having a Metacourse for the common material/activities, but this might make things unduly complicated if you are new to Moodle.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Paul Helleman -

Thank you Robert,

I am slowly working my first time through Moodle from the ground up.

Thanks again for the support.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paul Helleman -

Mary,

Being new to Moodle I have found your support very helpful.

Thank you once again,

Paul

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Manish Kumar -

Hi Mary , 

I need a help. Is there a plugin or way which triggers events and activities based on Date of enrollment of a user. 

In reply to Manish Kumar

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Manish,

I don't know of any plugin based on a flexible enrollment date. When I searched the Internet, I found a post from Joseph Thibault in Moodle News in 2013, titled "New Module Proposal: Autopilot for Moodle." The plugin Event Reminder, recently updated to Moodle 2.9, is based on calendar events. That's all I found.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Manish Kumar -

Hi Hartmut

I have tried  Event Reminder, It doesn't solve the purpose as-

There is a single user and multiple activities so using just Event reminder will be like for every user you create a different set of events, Instead I am thinking on Scheduler + Event reminder + Notifications where in

1. I will create a group of new joinees in a month
  2. I will create a set of events in a month based on fixed dates with Instruction- " To complete the activity before XX-MM-YY date" so even if XX-YY_MM is a holiday USER will take this into account and work accordingly to complete the activity before said date.
  3. With help of  Event reminder + Notifications  Reminders will be sent to users accordingly
  4. For a new month we can copy the Schedule activity and Change the months at all places.

I will be trying above steps and will keep post the results once I am done. The link you sent definately helped on this thought process. 

I believe if there would have been a scheduler where in we -

1. Define activities and Schedule Activity 1.
  2. mention Number of days (Not date) to reach and complete next activity say activity 2, then activity 3 etc. w.r.t activity 1.
  3. Now when user enrolls, We define occurrence of activity 1 and hence all other activities follow accordingly as we have already defined the dates with the help of Number of days between any 2 activities.
Here by Activity I mean any Moodle activity such as , completion of a lesson, taking a quiz, completion of feedback, etc. 

Thanks and regards 

Manish Kumar.