Easy moving around question categories with new plugin

Easy moving around question categories with new plugin

napisao/la Oleg Sychev -
Broj odgovora: 7
Slika Core developers Slika Plugin developers

Moving around Moodle question categories one step at a time with page reloading was always a not very pleasant task in big question banks.

Now you can do it much easier with new AJAX categories plugin https://moodle.org/plugins/view/local_ajaxcategories . You can move around categories as much as you want without page reloading. Try it and let us know you impressions.

U odgovoru na Oleg Sychev

Re: Easy moving around question categories with new plugin

napisao/la Peter Halverson -

Moodle 2.7.5+

Hello,

I just installed the plugin (2015081000   AJAX Question Categories 2.8.2) but I don't see any effect on my question categories page.  (Screen shot)

A couple ideas:   Will this plug-in not work with Moodle 2.7.5?

Maybe I installed it into the wrong type of plug-in?   I selected "Local Plug-In"  The instructions said "General Plug-Ins", but I couldn't find that type of plug-in in the list of options.  The installation did put the new code into moodle/local, which is what the instructions indicate.

Maybe I need to "turn on" plug-in?  But I don't see any settings for the plugin. (Screen shot)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter Halverson

Prilog Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 11.53.39 AM.jpg
Prilog Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 11.55.49 AM.jpg
U odgovoru na Peter Halverson

napisao/la Oleg Sychev -

Hello, Peter.

The plugin can not change behaviour of the "Categories" page in question bank, it adds new "AJAX categories" page to the question bank instead. Can you see it at the bottom of the question bank menu?

It is not clear from you screenshot which page you selected.

Hi,
Thanks for replying.

I don't see any "ajax" at the bottom of the question bank.  I'm attaching some more screen shots...

Sorry about the low quality screen shots.  I had to stay within the 100 kb limit.

Peter

Prilog Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 7.03.34 PM.jpg
Prilog Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 7.04.20 PM.jpg

napisao/la Oleg Sychev -

Thanks Peter, I still need you help to duplicate issue and find the reason.

It would be helpful if you can put you site temporarily in "all" or "development" debug mode with debugdisplay "yes" (see site administration->development->debugging) and publish there any error output that you are able to view.

You could also try earlier versions of this plugin - https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=8885 and https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=8901 - and tell me, whether they works for you? (You may need to completely uninstall it first, as Moodle won't allow you to downgrade) There was obsolete function that was changed after David Mudrak's comments on release of 2.8.2 - and the new version of obsolete function may be absent in Moodle 2.7

Hello,

I just had a chance to try your suggestions.   Turning on debugging to "ALL.  Show all reasonable PHP error messages" and loading the categories page did not generate any errors or messages.

I tried your second suggestion and uninstalled Ajax categories 2.8.2 and installed version 2.8.1

Now the option "Ajax categories" does appear under "Question bank" on the left side.  However clicking on it causes a generic "Internal server error".

It seems that there is some incompatibility...

Sincerely,

Peter Halverson

Hello again,

I just tried Ajax categories version 2.8, and it too seem to work at first, the "Ajax categories" link appears under "Question bank" but clicking the link causes a generic "internal server error."   This is using Moodle 2.7.5+
--- Peter Halverson

napisao/la Oleg Sychev -

Hello, Peter.

We have developer plugin under Moodle 2.8. There was a hope that older versions will work without change, but it seems to be not working.

I'm afraid, we do not have enought time to backport ajax categories plugin to Moodle 2.7 (just click on the list of plugins for my name and you can guess an amount of work to keep them up to date with new Moodle releases every half year). Did you really can't upgrade you site to the Moodle 2.8? That seems to be easiest solution.