I thought I had my Groups all set up but,... ):

Re: I thought I had my Groups all set up but,... ):

by ben reynolds -
Number of replies: 5

I use all uppercase for groups as well because we use a csv file to upload students and the group name is all caps.

"Groups *can* belong to Groupings," but they don't need to belong if you don't have any activities where you don't have the groups option.

Groupings *can* hold as many groups as you want. So, for a link to a course schedule, one of my groupings holds the groups that are using that schedule. Each group is taught by a different instructor, though they are all on the same schedule.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Warren Linds -

I agree that there is confusion between groups and groupings. I posted my problem in another post, but will repeat it here in the hopes someone will solve my problem.

I have groups for particular assignments for particular days. I only want students in those groups to see the assignment for them so as not to confuse the other students in the class. And I only want students in those groups to be the only ones I see in order to post marks.

But Moodle makes it awfully cumbersome to do this as one has to First create a Group of specific students and then create a grouping that includes only the Group I have already created! I am not able to create a Group of specific students and then create separate groups in the assignment module that specify only that Group.(ie in the assignment module it only recognizes groupings not Groups!) Why create a duplicate task?  Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks

In reply to Warren Linds

by Derek Chirnside -

It's actually very simple to say:

You can assign an activity to all groups or one grouping.
A grouping contains one or more groups. You cannot assign an activity to just ONE of the groups in a course without using a grouping.

Check out the tracker item here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-28082

Everyone (even people who don't teach with Moodle) realises this is clunky.

You say:

I am not able to create a Group of specific students and then create separate groups in the assignment module that specify only that Group.(ie in the assignment module it only recognizes groupings not Groups!) 

Correct

Why create a duplicate task? 

Good question.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Warren Linds -

Thank you. Since I am a mere user, I have sent the tracker URL to our moodle tech people. Hopefully they can apply the patch. (Can one use the patch with moodle 2.8?).

Hope someone fixes the issue in a new version of moodle as it is an absurd duplication that should be corrected as this is how most professors I know use groups.

In reply to Warren Linds

by Kevin Wiliarty -

Before considering patches, you should try 'Restricted Access'. Restricted access may not have been turned on for your site, but it's easy for a site administrator to do without making any modifications to code. It's under Site administration > Advanced features > Enable restricted access. With restricted access on, go to the settings page for an activity and you will find a new settings section called "Restrict access". Open that and click "Add restriction", then click "Group" and set the group who gets to see the activity. You can add other restrictions while you are there, including adding more than one group. This works in 2.8, though later versions have additional logic that lets you set various clever kinds of combinations. I don't think you need the patch.

In reply to Kevin Wiliarty

by Warren Linds -
Thanks.  I don't see Advanced features under Site Administration in my Moodle course.  Does that also have to 'turned on' by the site administator?