Behat testing on IE

Behat testing on IE

by Mark Johnson -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Do Moodle's behat tests run on Internet Explorer?  I know that there's an IE Driver for Selenium so it should be possible to make them run, but does anyone know if the core Moodle tests pass on IE?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Johnson

Re: Behat testing on IE

by Rajesh Taneja -

Hello Mark,

Behat tests works with IE, although you might find some failures which needs to be sorted. FYI: 32 bit version works better and faster as compared to 64 bit.

In reply to Rajesh Taneja

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for the info.  I was sent this spreadsheet in the Moodle dev chat which seems to suggest that IE/IEDriver was too problematic to run the tests reliably.  Can you give me any more context about that?

Also, I'm aware that there's an early version of a driver for Edge, are there plans to test >=3.0 using that? (I'm not sure if it's complete enough to be any use as yet).

To give some context to my questions, we currently run all of our tests on Chrome, and sometimes Firefox.  It would be nice to have the option to run them on MS browsers too, but the way our environments are set up, this would require some configuration changes so we'd like to know that it's worth the effort before we try!

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Rajesh Taneja -

Hello Mark,

IE driver is a bit of problem as it do crash often on a VM. So surely not suitable for running tests in CI (continuous integration). 

We tried MS EDGE, but can't make it run any behat scenario. It crashes after invoking, so surely need to wait till MS fully supports it https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/status/webdriver/details/

FYI: 

1. 32 bit driver is more faster then it's counter part 64 bit.
  2. There are few known failures on IE.
    1. ATTO adds different style params when using IE
    2. Switch window fails

Hope this information helps.