Bold formatting does not display after restore of backed up course to moodle cloud

Bold formatting does not display after restore of backed up course to moodle cloud

by Peter Southwood -
Number of replies: 22

I backed up my practice course from the current moodle mooc and restored it to my new account on moodle cloud. It all worked seamlessly, except that the cloud site course does not display any bold formatting. Inspection of the html shows the tags are still there, and attempting to make text bold on the cloud editor fails. It adds the code, but it does not display. Italics seem to work normally, as does everything else that I have checked so far. I am using the same browser (firefox) and can have the same text open from the mooc and the cloud at the same time in different tabs. The mooc text displays bold, the cloud text does not. It there some display setting that is different? If so, can I change it? As far as I know both sites are running 2.9.

I notice that bold appears to work here as expected.

Cheers,

Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Southwood

Re: Bold formatting does not display after restore of backed up course to moodle cloud

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

(Just repeating what I said on Learn Moodle) I backed up and restored your course to my own MoodleCloud site (and then deleted it afterwards, so you property is still yours, don't worry) and I found the bold worked perfectly well. I know that is not helpful however. Have you viewed it in different browsers as well as Firefox?

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Bold formatting does not display after restore of backed up course to moodle cloud

by Peter Southwood -

Thanks for testing, but.

No, I didn't consider a different browser relevant, as the code for bold is visible in the moodle editor but bold is not displayed in the editor when I exit from html editing mode. Also as mentioned the identical material on the mooc site displays bold faultlessly, and shows identical html in the editor. I will try alternative browsers to see if there is a difference, but don't see how it could be anything other than the moodle editor. Hey, what do I know anyway...

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Southwood -

Well, I tried Chrome, and the bold displays correctly. How is this even possible? Same code displays correctly on Chrome, not correctly on Firefox from one site , but correctly on another. Is there some CSS that differs between the   sites - then again it worked fine when you tried it, so is there some user option that may affect it? What browser are you using?

Re: 'Bold' display is site and browser dependent

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Peter. I know hardly anything about CSS but I am going to move this thread to the Themes forum as I am sure there will be some people over there who might have something to offer. To recap: You made a course on LearnMoodle using our LearnMoodle theme, and it has some bold in it. The bold displays fine in Firefox on Learn Moodle.

You restored your course to your MoodleCloud site where you could not see the bold on Firefox but we both can see it on Google Chrome. (I use Chrome 99.9 % of the time)

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Unfortunately Peter, this is a User Agent bug, to give it a name, although it looks like a bug it isn't really it's just that font-weight should be set to normal for the fonts that are used in the theme or site wide depending on how MoodleCloud is set up. So in that respect it is more than likely a Moodle Cloud theme problem, and since there is no Tracker to track the MoodleCloud as it is FREE, you could try adding this to your theme's CSS Custom settings page.

body { font-weight: normal;}

b, strong { font-weight: bold;}

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Peter Southwood -

Thanks Mary, that almost makes sense to me (I know next to nothing about CSS).; I will try it if I can find the CSS Custom settings page.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Peter Southwood -

Hi Mary,

Somewhat to my surprise, I found the place, pasted in your code, and it seems to work as advertised.

Thanks.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Great,

All that code did was to reset the parameters for those elements that make the text bold, thus disabling the User Agent CSS in the process.

Glad it worked.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Peter Southwood -

I am aware of the principle involved, but have never actually used it before, hence my surprise that: a) I found the right place to install the code without difficulty, and b) it worked first try, so I assume putting it at the end of the existing CSS code was the right place.

by Mary Evans -

There is only one place that you can add CSS in the Moodle Cloud theme and that is in Administration > Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Moodlecloud

I assume that this was the place?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Peter Southwood -

That is the place I found and used. I did not try to find any others.

Cheers,

Peter

by Mary Evans -

From the way you described how you found Moodlecloud settings, it sounded like you did not know it existed, and yet you spoke of adding the CSS to the end of the file as though there was some CSS there already!

The only other place is in Moodlecloud/style/custom.css but you would need FTP access which is not allowed on the Moodle Clouud!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Peter Southwood -

That is an accurate assessment of what happened. I did not 'know' that there would be a moodlecloud settings, but it was not a complete surprise that it exists, as the CSS has to go somewhere, and there was some CSS already there, which is still there with your code simply appended to the end of the file. As I mentioned I have read up a little on the principles, but had no experience in the practice. I will take your word on the custom.css as that is also outside my current skill set.

Cheers,

P

by Mary Evans -

What CSS was there already? Just wondering who added it? As a new setup it should have been empty, unless more than yourself have access to the Admin setting?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Peter Southwood -

See following, I have no idea who put it there. I didn't even think it might not be normal.

/* Make a copy before editing the styles below */

div.logo {

margin-bottom: 20px;

float: none;

}

body,

.section .activity.modtype_label.label,

.nav-collapse .nav > li > a,

.nav-collapse .dropdown-menu a {

font-weight: 300;

}

/* ----- Navigation bar ----- */

.navbar-fixed-top .navbar-inner {

border-bottom: 3px solid #f98012;

background-image: none;

}

/* Navigation bar: default text color */

.navbar .nav > li > a,

.dropdown-menu > li > a,

.nav-collapse .nav > li > a,

.nav-collapse .dropdown-menu a,

.usermenu .login,

.usermenu .login a,

.usermenu .moodle-actionmenu .toggle-display {

color: #666;

text-shadow: none;

}

/* Navigation bar: text color and background-color on hover */

.nav-collapse .nav > li > a:hover,

.nav-collapse .nav > li > a:focus,

.nav-collapse .dropdown-menu a:hover,

.nav-collapse .dropdown-menu a:focus,

.nav-collapse .dropdown-submenu a:focus,

.nav-collapse .dropdown-submenu a:hover,

.nav-collapse .dropdown-submenu a:active,

.nav-collapse .dropdown-menu > li > a:hover,

.nav-collapse .dropdown-menu > li > a:focus,

.navbar .nav li.dropdown.open >.dropdown-toggle,

.navbar .nav li.dropdown.active > .dropdown-toggle,

.navbar .nav li.dropdown.open.active > .dropdown-toggle,

.dropdown-menu > li > a:hover,

.dropdown-menu > li > a:focus,

.dropdown-submenu:hover > a,

.dropdown-submenu:focus > a,

.jsenabled .usermenu .moodle-actionmenu.show,

.usermenu .moodle-actionmenu .toggle-display:hover,

.jsenabled .usermenu .moodle-actionmenu.show .menu a:hover {

color: #fe5607;

background-color: #E5E5E5;

background-image: none;

}

/* Navigation bar: text color on hover for the user menu */

.jsenabled .usermenu .moodle-actionmenu .toggle-display:hover,

.usermenu .login a:focus,

.usermenu .login a:hover {

color: #fe5607;

}

.jsenabled .usermenu .moodle-actionmenu > .menubar {

margin: 0;

}

#page-navbar {

border: 1px solid #eee;

border-radius: 9px;

}

/* ----- End navigation bar ----- */

/* ----- Breadcrumb ----- */

#page-navbar {

background-color: #fff;

padding-top: 10px;

padding-right: 15px;

margin-bottom: 20px;

}

.breadcrumb {

background-color: transparent;

}

.breadcrumb > li {

}

/* ----- End breadcrumb ----- */

/* ----- Main content area and blocks ----- */

#region-main {

font-size: 15px;

}

#region-main,

.block {

border: 1px solid #eee;

border-radius: 9px;

box-shadow: none;

}

.block .header h2 {

color: #666;

font-size: 14px;

font-weight: 500;

letter-spacing: .5px;

text-transform: capitalize;

margin-top: 10px;

margin-bottom: 5px;

}

/* ----- End main content area and blocks ----- */

/* ----- Post-it ----- */

.tip-container {

margin: 20px;

position: relative;

}

.note {

color: #333;

position: relative;

padding: 10px;

box-shadow: 4px 6px 8px 0 rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.1)

}

.yellow {

background: #FFFFC6;

-webkit-transform: rotate(2deg);

-moz-transform: rotate(2deg);

-o-transform: rotate(2deg);

-ms-transform: rotate(2deg);

transform: rotate(2deg);

}

div#inst19.block_html.block {

background-color: transparent !important;

border: none  !important;

shadow: none  !important;

}

/* ----- End post-it ----- */

by Mary Evans -

How very odd!  Perhaps this needs reporting as it could be a hacker! sad

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Cooch -

I see it on mine too, Mary; I guess it's on all MoodleCloud sites.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Evans -

Mary, when you did the Backup/Restore or whatever you mentioned at the start of this discussion thread, something about ownership, what exactly did you do, as I am begging to wonder if the Backup has a bug in it when it is Restored?

I think I am correct in saying that everyone's Moodlecloud settings page should be empty because each site is unique, that is why we have different web addresses, each an individual sub-directory of MoodleCloud.

The only CSS in my setting it is what I have added. Otherwise what is the point of a FREE site that is picking up CSS from a central source? It just doesn't make sense. If Global changes need to be applied, then these would be done in MoodleClouds moodle/theme/bootstrapbase/less files.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paul Nicholls -

I was curious, so I just set up my own MoodleCloud site - and the CSS Peter posted above is there in the Custom CSS field in the Moodlecloud theme settings, off the bat.  Looking at it, I see references to post-its and tips, so it seems as though some of the finishing touches to the theme (including the styles for the "post-it note" welcome tip HTML block in the top right corner of the front page) have been implemented via custom styles rather than as part of the theme's stylesheets.

I can understand maybe putting the post-it styles in that way, so they can be removed when the post-it block is - but the "Make a copy before editing" comment suggests that the rest of it should probably be in the theme's CSS.

Perhaps somebody from HQ who's been involved with MoodleCloud can comment on why this is, and whether it's due to be tidied up?

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Mary Evans -

Hi Paul,

In that case then, the only way that can get into the CSS settings is via the theme/moodlecloud/lang/en/theme_moodlecloud.php > $string['customcss'] = which would be part of the $default = get_string('customcss') in the Custom CSS setting in theme/moodlecloud/settings.php surely?

This is bizarre as I do not see that. Which makes me think that this extra CSS must have been added since I signed up for my MoodleCloud site? Since the 'defult' would only apply to new websites.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Mary,

Creating a new MoodleCloud site is not quite the same as creating a new Moodle site - so there's plenty of scope for settings such as the custom CSS to be injected in various ways which may not line up with what you'd generally expect.  I'm guessing that either a database dump (which could contain any customisations such as custom CSS and the HTML block on the front page) is restored instead of the normal setup process being followed, or there's an additional script which runs and sets those things up once the initial setup is complete.

If it wasn't there on your site, chances are it was indeed added after you set your MoodleCloud site up.  Only HQ can say for sure, though wink

-Paul

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Just checked my MoodleCloud site - set up on 7/7/15 - and that customcss is there.

Agree Paul, it should be in the theme css not in the site customcss. Maybe an issue for HQ to sort out, I think.