Handwriting math pilot - call for participation

Handwriting math pilot - call for participation

by Ramon Eixarch -
Number of replies: 13

Do you work with Moodle on mobile or tablet devices?
Are you experimenting with Moodle quizzes with your students?

In the past months the WIRIS team has worked on a new feature for Math Handwriting recognition. www.wiris.com/hand/demo

The handwriting tool has been combined with WIRIS QUIZZES, our Moodle question types for math & science questions. Just as a reminder, WIRIS is a suite commercial tools with limited free use.

We are looking for people interested in piloting math handwriting in their Moodle courses.

Just reply here or get back to info@wiris.com for a yearly pilot license.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ramon Eixarch

Re: Handwriting math pilot - call for participation

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi Ramon,

that demo looks great!

I am interested in piloting your handwriting tool - what does the yearly pilot license involve?

Can the handwriting tool set mathML output to LaTex output like your editor or are they separate tools?

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Ramon Eixarch -

Hi Mauno,

the handwriting is being merged with the palette based solution. This is an ongoing process that will be finished in a few months. That will allow you to have LaTeX output, accessibility and all the other services..

Our idea is to offer free license for one year for those piloting the handwriting tool.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

OK.

In fact I have missed this kind of a feature to moodle for a long time. Personally i have tested a little (only a little big grin ) some iPad handwriting apps, http://webdemo.myscript.com/#/demo/equation , Windows handwriting (panel) and handwriting input in Mathtype but it could be a real challange and pleasure to test it with secondary & high school students, real courses and different activities of moodle...

My email is mauno.korpelainen at hyvinkaa.fi if you want to send some more info about testing/piloting process. I am teaching mostly mathematics both for adults and students under 18 years & special education so I can try the tool with a nice group of testers with different skill levels - or a couple of extra teachers to your pilot group smile

by Carles Aguiló-Collado -

Hi Mauno,

Thanks for your interest. 

Just as a clarification, WIRIS HAND will be, but is not yet available as an equation editor. Today, it helps students in the process of answering Quiz questions by providing a very natural way to provide this answer. In other words, it is an equation editor only in the context of Moodle Quiz, where we already were able to randomize the questions and grade the answers mathematically. This obviously stays so.

I'll continue with the details of the pilot per mail. smile

Thanks for your feedback!

Carles

by Brian Mulligan -

Hi Ramon.

we're Wiris fans here in IT Sligo, and it was great to meet you guys at EDEN, but I have a request connected to this that I asked you about there and would like you to consider.  We examine Engineering topics online and we need learners to be able to input sketches that will be graded by humans as part of tests.  I imagine that this would be a simpler feature than the exciting one you are developing.  It needs to allow the candidate sketch and store it for grading later.

What do you think?  Would others be interested in this?

If you manage to do that we will be able to fulfill all of our online assessment requirements through Wiris and it would simplify our lives.

Thanks for your time.

Brian

In reply to Brian Mulligan

by Ramon Eixarch -

Hi Brian,

we will evaluated your requests. It would be interesting to hear others about this feature. 

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello Brian,

Have you looked at the Poodll plugins to see if or to what extent they meet your need? There are several sketching options available that can be integrated with the Moodle HTML editor or submitted as assignments.  Are you looking for WIRIS to provide a similar functionality in its plugins for convenience or are you looking for different or additional functionality.

Daniel

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Brian,

what kind of sketches do you have in your mind? If I needed to add Engineering Drawing and Sketching to moodle I might ask students to use some desktop tool and send their drawings as a file to moodle (attachment)

Tools like http://webdemo.myscript.com/#/demo/shape integrated like Wiris hand to editor plugin or question type could be useful - not only for maths but also for any handwriting, drawing, music etc. Personally I can't wait to see Wiris hand integrated directly to editor plugin, not just question types smile

For art some other online drawing tools have similar capabilities as commercial drawing tools but they are usually easier to use outside moodle than in plugins. Moodle had the experimental  tinymce plugin called Paintweb a few years ago and yes, Poodll can do some (very limited) free hand drawing.

How about Geogebra and plugins like https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=67

by Brian Mulligan -

I'd like to apologise to those who responded to my query to submitting sketches in Moodle/Wiris quizzes.  I was not subscribe to the forum and thought nobody had responded.  We are looking for a single tool that can be used for 2 purposes - writing mathematical equations and making technical sketches (e.g. make a sketch of a cross section of the foundation of a block wall, sketch an electronic circuit that would increase the range of a voltage meter by a factor of 10).

Thanks  for the interesting suggestions.

Brian

by Kevin Gill -

I'm just now seeing this post, but I'm very interested in seeing my students' handwriting on quizzes.  I teach 6th grade math, so there is a lot of computation that I want to see the work to assess their understanding.

Is this still something that I can try using with my kids?

Thanks!

Kevin Gill

In reply to Kevin Gill

by Ramon Eixarch -

Hi Kevin,

sure. Math handwriting recognition feature is completely integrated into WIRIS math tools now.

Simply install them www.wiris.com/moodle and you can start using it.

Ramon

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ramon,

Just had a quick look at the online writing demo.  This looks like great work!

Chris

In reply to Christopher Sangwin

by Ramon Eixarch -

Would love to see an integration with Stack in place smile