The next button

The next button

by Nadirshah Ferozepurwalla -
Number of replies: 6

i have hosted moodle 2.9 on a hostgator shared server, it works fine, quizes also work great but 

once in a while when running a quiz the next button just stops responding, that is after answering the two mcq questions on the page when the student presses the next button, the will not submit, the questions will not change, its just stuck there!!.

The timer keeps on working, navigation works, the internet works.

The only solution i could find is to make the student log out and relogin and continue from last attempt. One or two user out of 60 is ok but this time it happened frequently with different students at different times for the same quiz.

I contacted hostgator, but they told me that everything is ok at their end and my hosting was not overloaded, as it rarely happens that processes run in true parallelism, and if it does exceed the 25 process limit or the ram memory etc I would get a warning email, but nothing like that hapenend. There are No Erorrs in the hostgator error logs either.

Complaining to the network administrator regarding that his proxy server mmight be the problem, says that if it were a problem it my quiz would never work, or stop all together why is it that it happens randomly? on any computer at random!! 

Please help me out, to teach my students i have created quizes and have many more planned, hosting is also done on my charge personally to give some technology to the learners.

A online test was to be conducted throughout the various departments for which i have spent two weeks designing the 60-80 mcqs of eight papers, now during a test run, this problem of next button occurs and my work is to be refused sad

Though it doesnot even take a minute to logout and in again but well resistant to technology and mostly scared. 

I need this next button problem to disappear

Now what should i do?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nadirshah Ferozepurwalla

Re: The next button

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Is logout/login necessary. What if you just reload the page?

Without more information is it hard to say what is happening. When the Next button is clicked, are there any JavaScript errors reported by the user's web browser?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nadirshah Ferozepurwalla -

"Is logout/login necessary. What if you just reload the page?"

Yes logout/login necessary refreshing the page does not work.

"Without more information is it hard to say what is happening. When the Next button is clicked, are there any JavaScript errors reported by the user's web browser?"

No such error message, and why would it happen only sometimes and at random? if the script is wrong its wrong?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That is very puzzling indeed. As you say, the key question is "why would it happen only sometimes and at random?" That applies pretty much whatever the problem is.

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

At this point if you can get it happening reliably, I would turn on debugging possibly and see if you are getting errors in the server logs (or if you can't access those, set it to output the errors on the page). Though if it's a javascript error, you may need to try and see if you get any errors using something like firebug.

Can also try a mock quiz/test on the demo.moodle.net site, that way you can seperate whether the problem is on the client browser end or the server end.