2.8.3 number of attempts

Re: 2.8.3 number of attempts

by Wendi Daniels -
Number of replies: 3

I'm sensing a smart alec attitude, and I would rather you take that elsewhere.

Yes, I went to great lengths to hide that as they have to click on so many things to take the test, and then to turn it is. It's obnoxious. Also, that popup will not prevent their internet from going out or an emergency coming up in which they must stop the test. So again, this answer is not helpful due to what I mentioned in the comment preceding your comment.

Does anyone else out there have a mature and helpful answer as to how I could program the test so that it counts an attempt only when the student submits their answers?

Jean-Michel, you usually have great answers. Do you know the answer to this?

In reply to Wendi Daniels

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

So, the 'right' way to implement this, in terms of Moodle code architecture, is to make a new Quiz access rule plugin that is like the standard one that limits attempts, but which only counts the ones that were actually finished.

Look at the state column in the quiz_attempts table to identify complete attempts. See this method for how you can replace the standard attempts rule.

Apologies for any earlier snark. Before I was posting before dinner and was hungry.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wendi Daniels -

OK, I understand. Thank you, Tim. I appreciate the advice and I will give it to my programmer.

In reply to Wendi Daniels

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Out of curiosity, are your quizzes randomized?  Do you really want students to see the questions before the begin?  If so (as Tim said), you can give the questions to them in other ways.  If students can open a quiz, print them, and then spend the next 12 hours figuring out the answers, doesn't this defeat the purpose of a timed quiz?  Yes, I know that I might be overcomplicating your scenario, but I am also trying to help others (and myself) think this through and appreciate your ideas. I am probably missing something.

This situation reminds me of a tennis (yes, I play tennis, go Roger and Serena) technique called "first serve in."  The concept is that the point doesn't really begin until the server succeeds getting the serve in.  (If you are unfamiliar with tennis, the server always gets two tries.)  Well, this method of "first serve in" defeats the purpose of two serves because the server could keep serving as hard as they can until the ball eventually goes in.  This is why pro tennis would never use this method (I have only seen this for "old" or "young" players who have difficulty hitting a good serve.)  Sorry about my mind wondering.  

tennis