Restricted access in Assigment

Restricted access in Assigment

by Skule Sormo -
Number of replies: 7

In Assignment activity, it is possible to set Restricted access with a number of restrictions. Then a message appear below the Assignment text showing

Not available unless:   - and then a number of conditions is shown, set by the author.

Is it possible to set this conditions without  showing this condition warning information?

There is a hide/show icon in front of the Activity completion   in the conditional settings. But when hide is choosen, the whole Assignment activity is hidden when the condition is not met. It is a wish to not show the condition information line only.

Since there is a checkbox shown at the right hand side of the screen when a assignment activity is enabled, there should be a possibility to hide the conditional information line for the assignment activity, and the Assignment main activity information should be shown only. The course lessons appear then more clean without all these conditional information. In some cases  the  available checkbox shown  is sufficient to enable the assignment activity.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Skule Sormo

Re: Restricted access in Assigment

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

You might be seeing that I was when I started using restrictions.
The reports of the settings are not visible to the student no matter what is set.
It does make for a lengthy list but only I see that.

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Svar: Re: Restricted access in Assigment

by Skule Sormo -

Well, I made a fake student user and tested the visibility of the restrictions notes, and it is clearly shown.

It is preferable that the student not can see the availability/restriction report at the screen, only the checkbox at the right hand side of the window, telling that this activity/resource is available, The name of the activity/resource can also then be highlighted.

The remaining activities/resources in the course which has restrictions to enter,  can then be grayed only, with no comment of restrictions and no checkbox visible.

Is this possible to achieve?

In reply to Skule Sormo

Re: Svar: Re: Restricted access in Assigment

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I wonder if you are about to discover what I recently did.

I have two zombie students and placed each into a separate group. (Are you using groups?)  Then in restrictions, from within the assignment, you can click the eye to the left of the restriction setting.

This way, the assignment will be visible only to those of that group.
The restriction settings in the assignment list will show you you and not the students.

If you are not familiar with groups then I can dig out my pathfinder which explains how to set them up.

Re: Svar: Re: Restricted access in Assigment

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The eye to the left of the restriction is what determines if the students see the restriction requirements or now.  If you close the eye, they will not anything at all until they have completed whatever requirements are added here.  With the eye open they will see the requirement description.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Restricted access in Assigment

by Skule Sormo -

ok, but in this case it was suitable not to see the requirement description. 
The checkbox should show the availability only, in addition to grayed text for the activities not yet available, but still shown for the students.
But I understand that this is not possible.

Thank your for the reply!

In reply to Skule Sormo

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Restricted access in Assigment

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Have you actually logged as the student to see what shows?
Do not use the Moodle  "Switch Role to..." option.
Log out of your session and log in as the student using a password.

I am not sure if this was mentioned or if you already know this, the black text that describes the restriction is only for your eyes.  The students do not see it no matter what any of the eye settings are.

The eye to the right of the assignment, hides it totally.
The eye within the restriction setting hides the assignment based on the group setting.The settings can cause it to show until a time/date and hide until a time/date. It can be set so that one group does not see the assignment for the other group.

It is difficult to see if you know this already or if I am not seeing your situation.

Then again, I just might be a bit helpful here. (:

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Restricted access in Assigment

by Skule Sormo -

I have tried groups, but with no different result about

Please pay attention to the attached picture file, showing activity available/restriction notes for the student.
When the eye icon is closed in the setting, the whole activity title also disappear, not only the restriction comments.

Attachment mod.jpg