Error: "Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Failed to unserialise data from file. Either failed to read, or failed to write. " after crash. Moodle 2.9 1+

Error: "Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Failed to unserialise data from file. Either failed to read, or failed to write. " after crash. Moodle 2.9 1+

by Quintin Seegers -
Number of replies: 3

Hi fellow Moodlers,

I'm running Moodle 2.9 1+ locally using WAMP to build a Moodle site which will eventually become our production site. Unfortunately, while creating a sample Lesson, my PC crashed. Now, when I try to load Moodle (before getting to the login page) I get the following error:

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Failed to unserialise data from file. Either failed to read, or failed to write.

Debug info:
Error code: codingerror
Stack trace:
  • line 469 of \cache\stores\file\lib.php: coding_exception thrown
  • line 372 of \cache\stores\file\lib.php: call to cachestore_file->prep_data_after_read()
  • line 299 of \cache\classes\loaders.php: call to cachestore_file->get()
  • line 1454 of \cache\classes\loaders.php: call to cache->get()
  • line 950 of \lib\outputlib.php: call to cache_application->get()
  • line 728 of \lib\outputlib.php: call to theme_config->get_css_files()
  • line 521 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to theme_config->css_urls()
  • line 37 of \theme\essential\layout\includes\header.php: call to core_renderer->standard_head_html()
  • line 28 of \theme\essential\layout\login.php: call to require_once()
  • line 1015 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to include()
  • line 945 of \lib\outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
  • line ? of unknownfile: call to core_renderer->header()
  • line 1816 of \lib\setuplib.php: call to call_user_func_array()
  • line 351 of \login\index.php: call to bootstrap_renderer->__call()
  • line 351 of \login\index.php: call to bootstrap_renderer->header()

I am by no means versed in the technical side of how Moodle operates, so would appreciate some help. Suggestions I found on the net was to clear caches from the Admin menu. Sadly, I can't log in to get there. Is there a way to clear the cache files 'outside' of Moodle?

Much appreciated.

Q.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Quintin Seegers

Re: Error: "Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Failed to unserialise data from file. Either failed to read, or failed to write. " after crash. Moodle 2.9 1+

by Quintin Seegers -

I ended up deleting the content from ..\moodledata\cache, which fixed it.

Re: Error: "Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Failed to unserialise data from file. Either failed to read, or failed to write. " after crash. Moodle 2.9 1+

by Mignon Smit -

Good evening everyone.

I have the same error...Not sure where the moodledata dir is, I do not see it on CPanel?

I'm not able to login to my moodle, any URL I enter have the same error msg.

Please help.

Mignon

Moodle 3.1.1

by Fidele GWIZA -

Dear Quintin, 

Thanks a lot, I have experienced the same problem 

"Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Failed to unserialise data from file. Either failed to read, or failed to write"

I have cleaned the cache folder in the MOODLEDATA folder as you suggested and it was fixed. 

Regards , 

Gwiza

University of Rwanda