The new floating (and ubiquitous) block is here.

The new floating (and ubiquitous) block is here.

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 39

We are proud to announce that finally floating blocks for Moodle are here! Thanks to Joan Codinas hard work and persistence, now it is possible to have a block that is both unobtrusive and visible from anywhere in a Moodle course; whether you are inside a particular module such as a Forum, a Quiz, a Chat or whatever or you are viewing a resource.

You can see this by yourselves by going to http://parles.upf.es/TEST. Select the course named Assignments and enter as teacher : teacher. When you get inside the course, on the upper part of the screen (towards the middle), you will notice a little tool bar called Language tool bar. To see how it works simply double click any word from the text appearing on your screen and then expand the window of the tool bar by clicking on the + sign on the right side of the bar and expanding the window to the desired size by dragging it with your mouse to be able to view the results.

Now, the beauty of this toolbar, besides its many potential uses, is that you can resize it at will and move it around wherever you want and, whats even better, you can choose to nail it to an absolute position of the screen (so that you can place it where it is not a nuisance and it will remain fixed in that position disappearing from the screen as you scroll down your page), or you can choose instead to make it a floating toolbar (so that it will be always visible in the same relative position of your screen as you scroll up and down your page). The default position of the tool bar is fixed but you can make it float just by clicking on the drawing pin/thumbtack icon .

Just enter the course and enjoy. We hope you become as excited about this new development as we are. In the next message I will provide a few more details about this tool bar.

Ah, one little warning. Joan is still fixing some little glitches that affect this tool bar when using IExplorer. We recommend to use Firefox for now.

Josep M.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: The new floating (and ubiquitous) block is here.

by Audun Hauge -
Very neat smile
Nice seeing walterzorn drag'n drop being put to good use.
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Josep M. Fontana -

Yes, in fact, this is based on walterzorn drag'n drop and it uses AJAX. If anybody has technical questions about the inner workings of this tool bar, Im sure Joan Codina will be happy to answer, but I can start by providing some additional information.

Perhaps the first thing I should mention is very obvious for those who know Moodles inner structure: in spite of the title of the message, technically speaking what Im calling floating block is really NOT a Moodle block. Thats why we have called it tool bar rather than block. The main goal for us was to make this element available from anywhere within a course. Our main goal was to provide a tool that could be used by language and translation students at our university. A typical block in Moodle is only accessible from the main page (or now in some limited modules like the Quiz module). For a tool like this to be really useful, it must be available from any module or, even most importantly, from every resource within a course. Thats why Joan came up with this alternative solution.

As you might have been able to see, what the tool bar does at the moment is to access a bilingual electronic corpus (called parallel corpus) containing pairs of translated sentences (in this case an English sentence and its translation in Spanish). This is very useful for translation students (as well as professional translators) and for students of foreign languages in general because you have immediate access to instances of the word or group of words used in different contexts in the real world. This particular corpus is formed by pairs of sentences and their translations in different languages Spanish, Catalan, English, French and German taken from novels, newspaper and magazine articles, contracts, web pages, etc. The idea is to have a block where the user enters a word (or group of words) by entering it directly or by double-clicking at a word in a text and then gets all kinds of information about this word: a monolingual dictionary entry with its definition, a monolingual dictionary entry with its translation and also a sample of sentences taken from an electronic corpus where the word is seen used in different contexts. If the corpus search yields many many results, you can click a link to get an additional window with the rest of results.

I belong to a research group (GLICOM) that has as one of its goals that of applying natural language processing (NLP) techniques to enhance or assist foreign language learning. The corpus that is used in this test (BancTrad) is a corpus that has been created by this research group and we dont know yet whether it will be possible to make it publicly available in the future (there are some legal considerations involved). However, there are other on-line corpora that are freely accessible (e.g. the British National Corpus ) and many on-line dictionaries, and, of course, Wikipedia, that one can exploit to use in this kind of language help tool bar.

Of course, you can also apply it to other areas. Imagine you have a math or science course and the tool bar contains some type of calculator: the student writes a formula or does a calculation on an assignment and the result appears in the math tool bar. You can use your imagination to expand the uses of this kind of block.

Josep M.

by Josep M. Fontana -
I also wanted to say that one of the nice things about this tool bar is that it hardly affects Moodle basic code. The scripts that call this tool bar are linked to a theme so that you can simply make a copy of any theme and asign it to a particular course. This way, depending on what course you are in (i.e. what particular theme you have chosen), you will get one tool bar or another. You can customize the "contents" of the tool bar to suit your needs.

Josep M.

Svar: Re: The new floating (and ubiquitous) block is here.

by Anders Berggren -
Hola Josep!
Very nice thing you (all involved) have created.
I love seeing Moodle (and specially designed features)
used for something specific and advanced, in this case
language teaching. Moodle is fantastic but it is a technical
tool that should not be in focus itself but reside invisible
in the background. Lope de Vega said that 'La vida es sueno',
didn't he? Sometimes this comes true.
Felicitaciones! Anders
In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: Re: The new floating (and ubiquitous) block is here.

by Josep M. Fontana -
Yes, it is true, somehow. Other big dreams have not come true, but at least most of the e-learning dreams I had two years ago when I started with this are coming true: the Flash module, better integration of Hot Potatoes with Moodle so that we could get more fine grained grade statistics, the language tool bar... Also, I'm pretty excited about the progress of LD integration in Moodle ...

Now if only we could stop global warming!

Josep M.

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: The new floating (and ubiquitous) block is here.

by Anders Berggren -
Pedro Calderón de la Barca was the dreamer.
Sorry for being ignorant...
Stop global warming? WelI, I guess you have to think
that anything is possible, (not just bad things).
I believe that even if it is not true.

by Gavin McCullagh -
Very nice.

What would also be lovely is if the messaging popup window could be put in a floating window like that. 

Gavin

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Josep,

cool work! cool

Just to inform you, it seems that there are some problems under Safari (MacOS X): When any text is double-clicked, the size of the font is decreased for near all the text in the page. And the popup block shows its buttons a bit unaligned.

Sorry for use this browser! tongueout

Anyway, it's really interesting! Congratulations!

Ciao smile
Attachment safari.gif
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hola Eloy!

Thanks for your comments. I will talk to Joan and see whether he can have a look at this problem. I don't know whether he has access to a Mac, though.

I know that he is having some problems making the tool bar behave well with IExplorer (but that was to be expected big grin). What I didn't expect is that something related to Macs/Apple, a superior brand, as everybody knows fpwould misbehave for us.

Josep M.

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yeah,

that has been really unexpected! surprise

How is possible that two true genius don't use a Mac? evil

fer_la_pilota2.gif

Ciao smile

by Josep M. Fontana -
Well, even at the risk that you think that I consider myself a genius by answering your question, I cannot help but answering it. I don't know about Joan, but in my case I can be honest and tell you why I don't use a Mac.

I was a grad student in the US around 1986 and I decided I needed a computer. I asked other students and also some professors which computer they recommended. They ALL said a Mac. This was the time when PCs just had 1 or two 5" floppy disks (no hard disks!) and they used DOS. If now you think Macs are superior to PCs, imagine then! I had used Macs in the computer lab and I was in love with them. I went to the store and they showed me a new model that was even nicer than the ones I had used. There was really no question that I wanted a Mac.

The problem was when they told me what the price was. I almost cried. I wound up buying a PC clone which costed about 1/4 of what the Mac costed. I really could not afford to buy a Mac. Later on I got a real job and my financial situation improved, so I could have gotten a Mac. But then it was too late. I had already gotten used to work with a PC and most people I worked with used PCs.

If only Apple would have allowed other companies to produce clones, they wouldn't have lost their share of the market the way they did. I don't know, maybe it was a good decision on their part. But that policy prevented many people like me to get hooked on a Mac.

Will you still be my friend after this horrible confession? smile.

Josep M.

by Ger Tielemans -
We allowed that small company to survive..
In the summer of 1988 we had to advise the Dutch goverment to choose a new computer for the secondary education: we all wanted MAC because we used them in special education. But the company did not give the computers away for almost free, like they do in the USA smile
So we had to choose something else: OS/2 would concurr the world according Byte magazine and Doctor Dobbs, but it was very very memory hungry.
So we had to choose for a very small company, that showed us a beta of their next operation system running on Intel chips. (I am still waiting, and do even not see these beta options appear in the next release - 17 years later - so you know which small company this must be.) 

And now we migrated Moodle to another server without any change and Firefox works fine, but IE looses all the fill-in forms, it is a disaster, we loose users everyday.. Please give us our old server back, or does someone know a solution?
ELoy, is one of the reasons for the problems with IE that Moodle developers do not test enough against that browser, which is used by the rest of the world ?
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Michael Penney -
without any change and Firefox works fine, but IE looses all the fill-in forms

Assuming you didn't change Moodle version here, just moved from one server to another, if you could use IE on the old server but not on the new one, then something must have changed/gone wrong with your move, it doesn't sound like a Moodle specific problem.
In reply to Ger Tielemans

>ELoy, is one of the reasons for the problems with IE that Moodle developers do not test enough against that browser, which is used by the rest of the world ?

Although I don't know about what small (was it rhetorical?) company are you talking, personally I've to say you that I NEVER test web pages against Internet Exploter (it isn't a typo). Anyway, I test all my pages against XHTML, Firefox, Netscape and Safari (all of them have solid versions of their browsers for my Mac). IE for Mac is an absolutely outdated browser and I can guarantee you that, I make Moodle pages to work against it, then all the rest of browsers in the world will stop working (including Exploter for Win32). You decide...

About your phrase "that browser, which is used by the rest of the world", well, the world is really wide, you know? And there are a lot of people walking over it. I'm pretty sure that there are more people NOT using Exploter than people using Exploter. Sure!

Finally, I'm sure that all the Community will report problems under any browser and, if they can be solved, they are solved. More, I'm pretty sure that a lot of Moodle developers use they windows environment to program and test things under it.

Too many versions of Exploter could be a problem, yes, huge differences between minor releases of Exploter could be a nightmare. Bad standards assumptions by Explorer are bad, sure. Security issues with Explorer are dangerous, I think. Stupid firewall or privacy settings make normal things unusable in Exploter, too. The biggest software company in the world does Exploter, pathetic. Trying to "kill" the competence by supporting their own javascript, java, extensions, activex technologies and a lot of silly artefacts (windows update) under Exploter, incredible. Will fall continuously in favour of other browser alternatives, I hope it.

Uhm, it's 2:40 AM here. Now I'm relaxed. Just going to sleep a bit (wake up in 4 hours).

Ciao, Eloy smile

P.S: When I start talking about my personal opinion against (yes against) Exploter, I cannot stop. Please forget this discussion or I'll continue... tongueout big grin

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, OK, I'm totally responsible for getting off track because I couldn't stop myself from taking Eloy's bait smile. But please, let's not start one of those loooong threads about Macs vs. PCs or how shitty a browser IExplorer really is. Not that I don't enjoy these kinds of "quarrels" myself  evil. But if we go on like this, it will mean the end of the original thread and it could be useful to keep this thread to talk about "floating tool bars" and related issues, report problems, etc.

Josep M.

Hi Josep,

I 100% agree with you and I apologize for the off-topic discussion (I think its an unconscious attitude due to my radical feelings when somebody raises the Mac thing). But I stop it just now.

My primary goal was just to inform you about some issues under one browser (without any attempts to start any parallel discussion about OSs or browsers). The same problems seems to be present under Firefox too (reading other messages). Hope it was solved.

Sorry again, now, let's go with that amazing block.... wink

Ciao smile

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hey, Eloy! I wasn't really chiding you or anything. As I said, I felt I had started the whole thing by taking your bait and starting to ramble about why I didn't get a Mac (how much more rich and enjoyable my computing life would have been ...ok, ok, I won't start again smile). Anyway, I hoped that my profusion of smilies would make it very clear that I wasn't annoyed at anybody. Moodle is a very SOCIAL tool/community so talking about the things we feel like talking, just like when we are in a pub with friends, is a tendency that I myself cannot avoid (as you very well know) smile.

So, it's me who is sorry if I sounded too brusque.

Josep M

by Ger Tielemans -
Browser X is not a choice, but a commercial tricky reality we have to live with in the rest of the world sad
We also have (still) these download inconsistencies in the same browser X. 

&gt>Will you still be my friend after this horrible confession?

Definitively, no! tongueout

Ciao smile

P.S.: My story is similar (but opposite). I had my fist Mac (the venerable Mac Plus with SCSI port!) in 1986 (my father had it). Since then, both at home and in the work I've used some Macs (SE/30, ci, vi, fx (runnig Unix!), LC 475, Quadra 840, PM6400, PM7200, PM9600, G4DP, iMac, eMac and G5DP). Not superior, but better for me, sure! I can relate a similar (a bit smaller) list of PCs used too, one thing that, sometimes, PC people comparing them cannot affirm (although they are categorical in their sentences). wink

P.S.: Anyway, I respect you, PC users. No problem!

[OT] The new floating (and ubiquitous) block is here.

by Ger Tielemans -
I still have my first mac/se 30. I had a terrible car accident, long a go:  the Mac  I placed in the backseat, ended up on the chair next from me in the front. Car was total-loss, Mac is still working smile
I now also remember the first Dutch translation for the Mac: when you placed a disc in the machine, it asked you sometimes to make that disc readable.. Of course!!

by Julian Ridden -
Eloy,

Has anyone ever told you you have a Mac problem? :D
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -

I told him when he shoed his tree iopd set for exaphonic sound!!

By the way... congratulations Josep Mª sonrisa

Marc

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Marc,

Well, the kudos really must go to Joan. I've had something to do (not too much and not in the most interesting parts, I'm afraid) in the creation of the parallel corpus but he was the one that figured out the way to modify and adapt Walter Zorn's bar to integrate it into Moodle using AJAX technology to query the corpus by clicking a word. Pretty cool.

By the way, it is ironic that we both live in Barcelona and we didn't manage to get our shit together to organize that informal Catalan BCNbeerMoodleMoot and get together this last summer as we were planning. Even more ironic, since we live in the same city, is that we will finally have the oportunity to meet, not in Barcelona but in the Canary Islands (in the Spanish MoodleMoot'05). I've already signed up for your DFWiki workshop and of course we will be able to finally have a beer smile. OK, ok I've gotten off track. But at least this is not yet another one of those Mac vs. PC or Firefox vs. IExplorer "fights" wink.

Josep M.

BCNbeerMoodleMoot ?

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Josep M,
we could even try to have finally the BCNbeerMoodleMoot even before Canarias,
still 2 months 2 to go! Maybe we can think of a date and place and invite Joan Codina,  Joan Queralt and all the other moodlers in Bcn ( It seems that lately all the univerities in BCN have discovered Moodle.
Regards
Marc

Re: BCNbeerMoodleMoot ?

by Josep M. Fontana -
Oh, I don't know if I can take so much beer in so little time smile. But OK, it seems like a good idea. Let's move this discussion to its original thread (BCNbeerMoodleMoot) and see if we can get our act together this time.

By the way, I don't really know whether one can say (at least in our case) that all universities in Barcelona have discovered Moodle. In our university, individual people from two different departments have it as their VLE in their own departmental servers, but our university continues to use one of the most pathetic VLEs (I pray to the gods that Dean, University President and other administrators don't read this message smile because otherwise I might be in trouble) I've ever seen. If only half the money spent in developing and maintaining this "thing" would have gone to adapt Moodle to their needs...

Apart from the UPC, what other BCN universities have adopted Moodle as their official VLE?

Josep M.

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -

Your're rigth Josep M,

only UPC has adopted Moodle as its official VLE, but google tells me that each day more university teachers are using moodle in barcelona and surroundings, so hopefully one day the centers will start moviong towards moodle.

Regards

Marc

by Josep M. Fontana -
Yes, more and more professors in Barcelona and around the world are opting for Moodle and even abandoning the official VLEs in their own university in spite of the fact that by doing so they lose institutional support and technical assistance. Ironically many of these professors are those who are REALLY interested in applying so-called 'new technologies' to improve learning (I'm not talking about myself, I have a number of specific colleagues in mind, both in my university and in other universities). So, most of the time, the ones that stay with whatever the university gives them are the people who are really reluctant to use VLEs and wouldn't even use them if they weren't sort of forced or nudged to do it.

So, yes the trend you observe is very possible and maybe the "authorities" will in the end surrender to the evidence and jump on the bandwagon. I think, at least in my university, if eventually there is going to be a VLE "revolution", it will be a grass roots revolution. I don't expect much from our administration, to tell you the truth. The VLE our university has is the house brand and, as you probably know, my university is very brand conscious and totally obsessed with image. Somebody who is not too bright and who is paid loads of money without being held accountable for anything must have come to the stupid conclusion that what brings "prestige" to the university is to have their OWN VLE rather than having one that really works and does what is supposed to do. I don't have the figures, but I'm fairly sure that they could have even bought licenses for a decent proprietary VLE such as WebCT for less money than what they've spent developing and maintaining the pathetic thing we have.

But for these "brilliant" minds that are in charge of the administration here, having the name of our university associated with a FOSS VLE must not be "socially" acceptable and might bring a "bad image" (oh, if I could tell you how obsessed they are with image, I have stories you would not believe, maybe in the BCNbeerMoodleMoot smile). I don't know this for sure, but knowing some of the types that populate the "high" places of my institution and having lived in the "culture" of our university for quite a long time, I wouldn't be surprised if their reasoning went along these lines. I'm not really proud of this culture but I need to pay my bills smile. So what I usually do is try to find ways around all the complications that this peculiar culture imposes.

Josep M.

by Samuli Karevaara -
"How is possible that two true genius don't use a Mac?"

Heh, wasn't one of the basic ideas behind Mac that's it's a computer that doesn't need a genius to run it smile

by Markus Knierim -
Hello Josep,

I'm also in the language teaching and SLA research business, and this is definitely a great add-on to Moodle cool

After reading Eloy's comment, I did some cross-browser testing:
  • Win XP, Firefox 1.06: After double-clicking any word on a given page the font size is reduced for (most of) the text on the page.
  • Win XP, IE 6: No problems here at all wink
  • Win XP, Opera 7.54: the toolbar does show up but it doesn't work at all: Neither double-clicking nor highlighting works, and entering words manually doesn't work either.
  • Win XP, Opera 8.5: double-clicking a word doesn't work, but highlighting and searching manually work just fine smile
What are your plans for releasing the toolbar code? I would love to use it in our Moodle big grin

TIA,
Markus
In reply to Markus Knierim

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Markus,

Glad to get to meet moodlers who are in the "SLA research business". Thanks a lot for taking time testing the 'language tool bar' with so many browsers. Your report is rather surprising and makes the whole problem a bit more puzzling. I've tried it with a combination of Win XP and Firefox 1.07 and I have no problems at all. However with Win XP, IE 6 I experience problems expanding the window by dragging the lower right corner with my mouse mixed.

Anyway, concerning your request for the release of the code, we wanted, of course, to get to a point where the tool bar became more stable with a wide
range of browsers before releasing it to the public. I don't know whether Joan has read these postings yet. I don't want to speak for him and he will, of course, have to decide what to do. I do know, though, that he is pretty busy right now and I'm afraid that he might not have time to fix all the problems with all the browsers. I'm not a developer and I have no idea about how much time might be needed to fix all these problems but I am very aware of the fact that the world of browser compatibility is hellish.

I know that Joan is working hard on trying to fix the problem with IExplorer. Perhaps what we will do is try fix it so that it can at least be used without problems with Firefox and IExplorer on PCs and then release it so that other people can continue to work on it to fix the rest of problems with other browsers. You see, I asked Joan to help me with this tool bar as part of a project to create a tool which would be used by students in language and translation courses at our university. Practically 100% of them use either Firefox or IExplorer. So, unless the fix is easy, that would be the end of our involvement in the development of the tool bar. I don't want to abuse Joan's kindness and patience by asking him to spend many more hours than the ones he has already spent with this. Actually I've asked him to help me with other kinds of improvements and jobs which are more of a priority for us than total browser compatibility.

So, if there are other people in the developer community that are willing to lend us a hand in solving these issues with browser compatibility, the code will be available very soon and we certainly welcome their contributions.

Josep M.
In reply to Markus Knierim

by Joan Codina Filba -

We are going to release the code as soon as possible, but first we must solve some of the problems that are still there:

• Known problem: Font size... this is a stupid error in the html generated because the original font was too big and the redefinition of font applies, in some pages, to all the page instead to only the pop-up window.

• Compatibility problems:

• IE: there are two problems, window resizing (working on that) and combo boxes(is a reported bug of IE)

• Opera and Safari, maybe we could release the code with some indications to allow some volunteers perform the correct update. Basically I suppose is a problem of detecting which is the browser and perform specific arrangements for it.

Moodle Block alternative: In our test site there is a "translation block" is a Moodle block that uses Ajax techniques to update its contents without page reload, now is set for language translation but it can be used for any other uses. It's very simple to use and integrate. It has some drawbacks for being a Moodle block: The size (basically the width) the position cannot be changed, and is not available everywhere.
As Josep M. posted one of our goals was to keep the code as independent of existing Moodle code as possible. We are a bit afraid that if the code developed does not get into the Moodle distribution then the maintenance of that code can become a problem. We have other patches (count words in assignment and copy activities) that as not being part of Moodle we must take care of them and after every code update, test and re_integrate into our Moodle

After posting it i saw the Josep post, i think that me and Josep where writing the "same" post in parallel...

In reply to Joan Codina Filba

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Joan -

Fantastic work!

I'm guessing that I will have to learn Ajax to develop with this?

I can see this being a great way to handle a reference add-on I am trying to develop. In this case, resources and activities can have links to other references associated with them (kind of like a glossary entry for an entire resource). I imagined them being displayed in an editable block, but this might be better.

I await the release of your code...

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Joan Codina Filba -
The trick with ajax is that no information is preloaded, making the page load much faster. I mean that is in response to a user action that a request is sent to get some extra information to be shown in the current page. Thus the page is getting information/changing its contents without reloading the page.
It can be usefull for example for tabbed courses, where the current tab is reloaded under request, but not the complete course page.
Not so difficult, just a few calls.

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Josep and Joan, great tool. Will offer so much flexibility to Moodle.

This discussion I will use as the trigger to write about two important aspects of future Moodle development: A central DHTML library and Moodle design. I notice every now and then isolated developments into different directions and developers trying to reinvent the wheel. The central and homogenous approach would make work much easier.

Do you know Cross-Browser.com, a cross browser library with many DHTML functions? I propose to integrate this library into Moodle (there are some more, I use this one - it works good and the developer is very active working on further developments). Every DHTML functionality can then centrally be used from this library - like the other Moodle APIs. And they most probably will work without the need of time consuming debugging processes necessary for individual solutions.

Now I change hats from the developer to the theme designer wink

Could you consider to use icons already being used for Moodle - I have seen your "plus" icon and ask, why do you not use the plus sign used at other places? Using the same icons integrates your block even more into Moodle than different icons.

Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Josep M. Fontana -
Urs, I just wanted to say that I fully support your initiative. I think it makes a LOT of sense.

Josep M.

by Ger Tielemans -
Indeed, a really nice tool that deserves a place in the core.
Urs comments make also sense for a lot of added functionallity.
So is this our first step on our way to a professional clearing house for added functionality?
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Joan Codina Filba -
No i didn't knew about this library. DHTML is nice but has many problems due to incompatibilities and differences between browsers. I also took an existing library and did some adaption.
There are two key aspects in our develpment:DHTM and Ajax. Moodle could (should) move towards this direction to allow faster response time. This is crucial when creating courses.
Which DHTML library use? I think that this needs an evaluation process about functionality, code quality, support... But if Moodle chooses one, then all new developments should use that one.

I've been using the icons allready in moodle except for the fix/float that did not exist.  Its true that the +/- sign look different but they are from the moodle distribution.
I did a check i use the ones from /t/pix while the block takes it from /pix. I'll change it.
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Joan Codina Filba -
The icons are arranged (it was only the size of them, I took the correct ones, from the right location) 
The problem with the changes in font size of the page is solved...
Other browsers (IE..  ) maybe tomorrow
In reply to Joan Codina Filba

by Joan Codina Filba -
The problem with IE , solved: the solution is to remove IE big grin. If this is not possible then ... is more difficult. I found that the error comes from an incompatibility between overlib and wz_dragdrop the library used to build the window. It seems that overlib is only used in the callendar but is included in every page.
I've tried to update both libraries to the last version, but the problem persists.
For me is very difficult to trace both codes. I don't have tools to do so. I'll try to post in some forums asking for help.
Here is my first one...
Any help?sad