MM2 for Windows Phone

MM2 for Windows Phone

by Jon Vannoy -
Number of replies: 8

Is the plan to release MM2 on the Windows Phone app store?  If so, do you have a timeline for release?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Vannoy

Re: MM2 for Windows Phone

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jon,

I'm sorry but I cannot provide you with a timeline right now, I will update this issue once we have an idea.

Regards

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Jason Touw -

Greetings Juan,

I also used the windows app for several years and find the absence rather hindering.  I am wondering if you have an update on Windows 10 phone apps? With the advent of windows 10, I see Microsoft aggressively gaining back some of the education sector from Google with the sharing features in both desktop and web based apps, as well as the sync features on the 10 platform are very competitive. I recently learned that our institution may be taking a huge step toward Microsoft after years of google apps for education, and I suggest that this app become a priority again in windows formats. Have you an update on a timeline or any news on sponsors?

Thanks!

In reply to Jason Touw

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Run this MySQL query on your DB.

select userid,
concat('<a target="_new" href="https://www.google.com/search?q=',model,'">',model,'</a>'),
platform,version
from `mdl_user_devices

Kicks out a table with device platform and version with link to google
checking out the platform.

In a school district that is 100% Microsoft - desktop/server (an exception being their Moodle server which is Linux) and who has decided to go 'bring your own device' ...

Of 11,521 users (elem->HS Students and Facutly/Staff) there are only 9 users using Windows anything.

Granted that's one district.

Others care to share back?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Jason Touw

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jason,

Windows share in the global smartphone market is less than 1% (according last news), with those numbers we can't simply spend time upgrading the app to support Windows devices.

We did some estimations, and doing a windows version compatible it's a lot of hours of development.

We are aware that a lot of universities are going to Microsoft services, but that doesn't mean that the people is going to switch to Windows phones.

So, unfortunately, if the trend continues we won't we working in a windows version soon.

Juan

In reply to Jon Vannoy

by Ewald Dreesmann -

Hi,

I want to let you know, that I'm (and some more students are) also very interested in MM2 for Windows Phone. The new Version is a big step forward that makes the app useful (as I can see on Android and iOS).  Maybe Astoria for WM10 can help?

Kind regards ...

In reply to Ewald Dreesmann

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Ewald,

unfortunately I cannot provide any update on this matter.

As far as I know, the Ionic team (Ionic is the framework we use for creating the app) is testing the new Windows browser and WP version. I suppose they will have to apply some fixes and then we'll re-evaluate again porting the new version

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Ewald Dreesmann -

Hi Juan,

can you tell us anything new on this matter? We've got about 10% to 20% on WM10 represented in our classes, but already more than 25% (steady growing) on W10 (tablet/laptop). And still there are no working PUSH-Messages for Moodle on WM10/W10. Under this circumstances I cannot declare this app to standard without leaving to many pupils behind.

So far as I can see the IONIC framwork does not seem to make any progress on w10, or does it? What do you think about the projekt "islandwood"? Could this be an obvious solution?

Regards, Ewald

In reply to Ewald Dreesmann

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Ewald,

I'm sorry but there are no news. Ionic framework did some progress on w10 (sponsored by Microsoft) but right now is something we are not to going to tray in the short-term.

For laptop/desktop, we are evaluating http://electron.atom.io/ because that will make the app work in tablet not ARM with windows 10 and desktop/laptop

Juan