Creating Groups in site

Creating Groups in site

by rajeeva d -
Number of replies: 8

I want to create groups in the site.The groups should not be course wise.

From the site wide groups i need group total points.Is there any plugin related to this.

Can any one suggest or help me in this.Its a high priority task.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to rajeeva d

Re: Creating Groups in site

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Try here first..https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Grouping_users

Then here: https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Grades

These might give you an idea or an overview of how to do what you want to do. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by rajeeva d -

Thank You Colin.

But what i am looking for is not Course Level Groups.I want to create groups in user accounts not in courses.

Are we having any such option in moodle

In reply to rajeeva d

by Michel DENIS -

Rajeeva,

The concept of Group is a course-level concept only.

When you want to "group together" users at site-level you need to use Cohorts :

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Cohorts_FAQ

"A group exists only within a course. You might have a class 10B for example which you want to enrol in course 1 and course 2. The group would need to be created in both courses and its members enrolled separately in both courses. Cohorts are groups of users created by admin which can then be brought in "en masse" to courses. So if class 10B is created as a cohort by admin, then it can be selected in those courses where enrolment via cohort has been enabled. (For more information on creating and using cohorts, see here: Cohorts) Once members of a cohort have been added to a course, they can be included in a group, either by using the "auto create groups" feature or by adding the members to an empty or pre-created group."

Hope this helps,

-michel

In reply to Michel DENIS

by Lisa Schultheiß -

Dear Michel,

maybe you may help me aswell: I already found out how to create cohorts and add them to specific courses. Now I would like to display those courses on the Users`s  front page when accessing our learning platform. The cohort has only an restricted view on the available courses, unfourtunately I am not able to add courses on the front page of cohorts.

Do you have any advice how to make those courses visible?

kind regards,

Lisa

In reply to Lisa Schultheiß

by Michel DENIS -

Hi Lisa,

Not so sure about the issue you have.

Normally the front page settings override cohort settings.

Please could you explain more precisely the problem you encounter ?

Cheers,
-michel

In reply to Michel DENIS

by Lisa Schultheiß -

Hi Michel,

Thanks for the quick answer!

the case is as follows: I have two different front pages: one for general staff, the other one for a specific cohort.

While general staff is allowed to see all the courses on their front page, cohorts may only see specific courses  (due to legal reasons).

How can I make only the allowed courses visible for the cohort? I hope its getting a bit clearer, as I am not working in the it department these things sometimes makes it difficult for me to explain ...

Lisa

In reply to Lisa Schultheiß

by Алексей Кадин -

Hi, Lisa.

A few questions just to be sure. Are the general staff enrolled to all the courses they are allowed to see (by cohorts, or no, doesn't matter)? The same question about members of your specific cohort, because normally a student (guest, tutor) is allowed to see only courses he is enrolled in.

I guess "no" in both cases, because otherwise your problem wouldn't appear, but we have to be sure.

Aleksey

In reply to Алексей Кадин

by Michel DENIS -

As highlighted by Aleksey, Moodle needs to be able to differentiate between these 2 categories of visitors.

Typically this could be based on course enrolments.

You can also use roles to differentiate, and produce different listings of courses based on roles

-michel