Removing Unconfirmed Users - Cron job issues

Re: Removing Unconfirmed Users - Cron job issues

by Robert Brenstein -
Number of replies: 2
Have you looked those records up in the database? Column deleted.
Have you checked the server logs for errors? Moodle debugging must be on.
Have you tried setting the deletion threshold to 1 or 2 days? Maybe 1 hr is too short.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Todd Kurth -

So I've made changes and still the account exists. I've set it for 1 day or 2 days, nothing is removed. The column in the database does not show as being marked deleted either. The cron job lists it is running a query to remove unconfirmed accounts. I'm baffled. I didn't see anything inside of any logs, though I'll be honest not sure if I was looking in the correct places.

In reply to Todd Kurth

by Carles Bellver -

We have recently noticed this same problem: unconfirmed users are not being deleted by the cron task when it is executed. Our database shows more than one hundred users with confirmed = 0, deleted = 0 since our last upgrade from Moodle 2.7.

We have checked the code in lib/classes/task/delete_unconfirmed_users_task.php and this is the SQL query that retrieves the users to be deleted:

$rs = $DB->get_recordset_sql ("SELECT * FROM {user} WHERE confirmed = 0 AND firstaccess > 0 AND firstaccess < ? AND deleted = 0", array($cuttime));

($cuttime is current time - deleteunconfirmed threshold, 7 days by default.)

But the problem is that these users have firstaccess = 0 in DB, because login/signup.php sets $user->firstaccess = 0 when the account is created, so that the AND condition is never matched. And this didn't happen before upgrading because we have found that in Moodle 2.7 login/signup.php set $user->firstaccess = time(), i. e. account creation time, not zero.

So we think we have a bug and I have filed one in the Tracker. Could you please have a look there and vote?

[MDL-54106] Delete unconfirmed users not working because firstaccess == 0