same courses in different categories not happening!

Re: same courses in different categories not happening!

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The issue is around names and short names? Make one a clone of the other, you have one course, so create the second course with different names and just import materials from the first course to the second. Assign teachers and let them do as they need.

There may be an alternative, if you do not want to be duplicating courses, and that is to use a meta course. Create the course with all the required common materials and give it a name, activating it as a meta course. Create one child course, with the teacher and students, and then another child course with the second teacher and students, each with their own names. Editing of those courses then belongs to the teachers, who should be able to add in whatever materials they require into their child courses. I have never used meta courses like this before, but I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by alifiyah lanewala -
The problem is that i am making a categories of courses for my university's department.i have to put the correct name id and short name for the courses,i cant use a different name or id to represent the same course for two different programmes hence i can't create clones.

Now the solution of meta course that u are suggesting,Now, if i create one meta course and create two children of it one for each of the programme then how will i put the two children in two different categories (e.g one child in SCIT and other child in SESE) and in which category will i put the meta course?Also tell me that in this scenario can i put same names id and short names for the children or not because that is mandatory for our university.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by alifiyah lanewala -

We plan to implement Moodle in our entire university in the long term...now if this problem is not solved..i don't think i will be able to because i just checked the courses of various departments of our university and i noticed that several departments offer common courses to the students.For e.g Functional English (HS-114) is common in both Electrical Engg and Electronic Engg departments at NED.

In reply to alifiyah lanewala

by Robert Brenstein -
From what you describe, it sounds like those courses use the same name and designation but are actually different courses. If so, you need to have a small difference in the short name of each course. You could for example include the department's abbreviation.

Note that the "my courses" view does not show categories, so if an instructor teaches such a course in two different departments, he couldn't differentiate them in the list. Search shows the immediate category, but if you have subcategories for departments, it might not be clear to which department a given course belongs in the search results either.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by alifiyah lanewala -

Believe me after a lot of thinking of today i did come up with this same solution and have already applied it :D
What i thought was that i can concatenate the initials of the departments to the course ids and course short names to all the courses and not just to the common courses ,this way the common courses for any departments will not create a conflict and each one will be treated uniquely.I think my university won't have any issues too as i'l mention in the user manual that teachers and students can search course ids in the format DeptShortName-CourseID .The fact that you gave me the same idea makes me feel i have thought in the right direction. smile

p.S:i have kept the course full names of common courses same..i hope that wont make any problems in identifying or searching courses for teachers and students in future?