Reading Comprehension Questions in Moodle 2.9

Reading Comprehension Questions in Moodle 2.9

by Amit Gairola -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I am new to Moodle and I am trying to setup Reading Comprehension questions as part of my quiz. The basic format is that there are many multiple choice type questions associated to one long Reading Comprehension passage. 

The quiz will have the following format

1. Quiz will have around 25 questions.

2. Out of 25 questions, 15 questions will be self contained (Synonyms and antonyms, etc)

3.  The remaining 10 questions will be reading comprehension questions. There will be two passages with 5 questions each. 

Is there a way to model the above mentioned quiz. 

One way is to copy the Passage for each of the five questions but that is a clumsy way of handling Reading Comprehension quiz. 

Is there a better way.

My apologies if I am asking the same question again. I tried to look through the forums and could not find an answer to my question.

Regards,

Amit

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amit Gairola

Re: Reading Comprehension Questions in Moodle 2.9

by Russell Thomson -

Hi Amit,

I am far from an expert but I create many multiple choice questions from one or two texts using formulas. So, for example, paste you text and the use: {1:MCV:} for a verticle multiple choice. e.g 

Text {1:MCV:Answer 1~Answer 1~=Answer 1~Answer 1} You will then get radio button choices in verticle format.

Put everything in the same Quiz - Embedded answer.

I don't know what you mean by '15 questions will be self contained (Synonyms and antonyms, etc)'. What is the format of the question.

Regards

Russell

In reply to Russell Thomson

by Amit Gairola -

Hi Russel,

My apologies for the delayed response. What I meant by self contained is that the question text has everything that is required for a student to answer a question. For e.g.

Q: What is the opposite of day

a) Sun

b) Moon

c) Stars

d) Night

Where as a reading comprehension question will belong to a set of questions which have a common "passage" for the student to read and then answer the questions.

Q: Based on the passage given above, what could be a possible assumption to the conclusion given in the last sentence.

a) xyz...

b) xyz...

c) xyz...

d) abc...

Regards,

Amit

In reply to Amit Gairola

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The general idea is to first add a 'Description' item. That is not a question, but some text (which could contain images, multimedia, etc.) Put your passage in there.

Then add the questions after that.

You probably want to use the quiz editing controls to ensure that the passage of text and the questions are all on the same page.