Assignment Notification Email Submission Link Behavior

Assignment Notification Email Submission Link Behavior

by Jason Press -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I'm working on a Moodle 2.8.5+ site on a development server using the Essential Theme (2.8.1.5). The site was upgraded several months ago from version 1.9.7 and so we're still getting used to some of the new features. We rely on the email notifications sent to Teachers when assignments are submitted. Previously (in 1.9.7), the notifications would include a link that could bring the Teacher directly to the submission that the notification was triggered from. It would look something like this:

Username has updated their assignment submission for 'Name of Assignment'
It is available on the web site.

The text "available on the web site" would be linked to a URL that looked something like this: http://www.nameofsite.org/mod/assignment/submissions.php?id=xxxx

In Moodle 2.8.5, the notification shows up like this:

Test Student has updated their assignment submission for 'Name of Assignment' at Date, Time
It is available on the web site.

However, the text "available on the web site" now links to a URL that looks like this: http://www.nameofsite.org/mod/assign/view.php?id=xxxx

As you can see, the newer version of the link just takes the Teacher back to the assignment page as opposed to taking them directly to the actual submission (which would be much more useful for grading/reviewing). So, I'm wanting to see if anyone is aware of a way to change/revert this behavior back to its original state.

I've browsed through the /mod/assign/lang/en/assign.php file and found the following string (lines 174-179):

$string['gradersubmissionupdatedtext'] = '{$a->username} has updated their assignment submission
for \'{$a->assignment}\' at {$a->timeupdated}

It is available here:

{$a->url}';

I'm not sure if there is a way to edit this string to get the result I'm looking for but I did notice that the quiz activity does still have this functionality. Line 296 from /mod/quiz/lang/en/quiz.php is as follows:

You can review this attempt at {$a->quizreviewurl}.';

So, if anyone happens to know the equivalent string to "quizreviewurl", but for assignment submissions (maybe something like "asssignmentreviewurl"), then perhaps the assignment string could just be modified in the language pack (Site administration > Language > Language customisation). Any advice or insight around this issue is most welcome!

JP
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Press

A direct link to the submitted assignment work

by David Wilde -

As JP said.

This was an essential time saver which really needs reinstating!

DW