Hosting company

Hosting company

by Kim Diana -
Number of replies: 6

Hi everyone,

My client wishes to run E-learning site by using Moodle.

He will sell this to 20 colleges. And each college will register 15 to 20 users (students).

Total users for 20 Moodle site might be 300 and they maybe login and use the sites at the same time.

The courses are 9 and each course around 3MB. 

In this case what I need to suggest the client to host his websites?

I am using a2hosting.com for my other projects so it looks good but I'm contents designer and not much know about server.

Of course cheap price is preferred but not faulty service. 

The following the a2hosting a managed VPS hosting options:

https://www.a2hosting.com/managed-vps-hosting

Some one mentioned to me a shared hosting is not an option for this case. 

A VPS service or a managed VPS hosting  or cloud hosting is suitable for this case. 

A VPS service seems cheaper than a managed VPS hosting but  i do not know how to intall PHP and MySQL ..etc.

Please recommend and help me out.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kim Diana

Re: Hosting company

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Kim, for sure shared hosting is not recommended for this many moodle sites under one account, though 1/2 sites could have been easy handeled by a shared host.

managed VPS will always be expensive, for they will be responsible for updates and security as well as bit of assistance towards your own uploads.

Bluehost have just launched their cloud service few days back, and there current introductory offers stand well, you can check their newly introduced package here.

benefit of cloud over VPS is instant scale-ability and self healing.

even considering a shared hosting for say 1-2 sites, a normal cost for shared hosting is $5.95 a month with reliable hosts, making it 10 accounts cost around $59.50 whilst highest package for BlueHost cloud stands at $15.95 a month, makes it 3 times cheaper as well, and as requirement grows, one click will upgrade your RAM and CPU.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you are talking about this number of users at the same time choosing a host will be the least of your problems. I would suggest seeking out a company that can work with you here. A Moodle Partner would, of course, be a good start!

In reply to Howard Miller

회신: Re: Hosting company

by Kim Diana -

Hi Howard,

Thanks for your kindness.

I made some calls and found out Moodle Partners actually serve more than Server.

I should had to know this then I do not need to worry about developing so much.

Cost seems expensive as it is more than $1000 per semester. 

The benefit is I do not need to worry about server at all and they keep backup and can give me some advice.

Still I am concerning the price because our user will be just 300 per semester.

Income will be outcome.

If you know any partner who can provide hosting service with some $40 up to $60. Then we can try at least.

Thanks

Regards

Kim

In reply to Usman Asar

회신: Re: Hosting company

by Kim Diana -

Hi 

Thanks Asar

The price seems so nice for us! 

And quite surprised other hosting companies suggest more than $40 to $150. ( a managed VPS)

I am sorry as I do not have much knowledge regarding server so I can't get the concept why I need higher RAM/CPU even though I know higher RAM/CPU is good! smile 

(so I don't know what minimum RAM and CPU ...etc are required in this case. )

I will try Blue Host 

And I feel grateful of your advice.

Thank you

In reply to Usman Asar

by Just H -

"BlueHost cloud stands at $15.95 a month"

If you pay for 3 years up front which is a long time to lock yourself in IMHO.

In reply to Just H

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

you're right to say, but bluehost is one of the two hosting companies I know that have anytime refund policy. you'll be refunded prorated for remainder of the hosting term if you cancel after 30 days, so essentially you are not locked in any type of contract.