Any (Med) school using Moodle for almost all exams ?

Any (Med) school using Moodle for almost all exams ?

by david de leeuw -
Number of replies: 0

Dear Forum

I am in charge of computing in the Faculty of Health Sciences. For a long time we maintain a huge question bank in Med School (mainly multiple choice).  The question bank is created by typists who get the raw material in files, emails, handwritten etc.

Our exams are run paper based with a few versions, and scanning of the forms, analyzing automatically. Some time ago we decided to move our infrastructure to Moodle, and in future run our exams in computer classrooms. We also wish to expand our operations and run exams in all schools of the faculty. If we would have another 5 typists for data entry, we could manage, but this is not realistic.

So we planned on direct data entry of questions by the teachers. However we have a problems implementing our plans. This has mainly to do with establishing and maintaining question banks in Moodle. Data entry and maintenance of questions by unexperienced teachers in Moodle is problematic. We have many teachers (many doctors without time or patience), some of them have to submit just a few questions. We consider using GIFT or AIKEN templates for Word, using third party software for online data entry, developing something ourselves.

My question is, if you know of Universities, or Faculties or schools similar to ours, which made this move successfully, and run most exams online in Moodle. My boss considers sending me for a week or so, to learn the environment and possibly shorten our trial-and-error development time.

Any advice would be most welcome,

Best wishes

(Edited by Mary Cooch  to remove signature in accordance with Site policy- original submission Thursday, 27 August 2015, 2:45 PM)

Average of ratings: -