Moodle 2.8 link to Amazon S3 presentation

Re: Moodle 2.8 link to Amazon S3 presentation

by Mark Whitington -
Number of replies: 2

I Mary,

Thanks for the response.

We have been able to upload each presentation into its own folder in Moodle... then set the 'main file" as "story.html" (similar to "index.html" as you described. This works well if all presentations are stored on the Moodle server.

As my client wants to record two presentations per week including narration I was hoping to store and access (play) the presentation from outside Moodle. This strategy would reduce the course file size.

I believe now that I misunderstood the idea of "Repository". My understanding now is that files may be stored in a "repository" like Amazon S3 ; Dropbox etc. but still need to be uploaded into Moodle to run.

The URL link to Amazon S3 looks successful... just need to tidy up the security settings. I hope to limit access to users coming from our website.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Cheers

Mark

In reply to Mark Whitington

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

HI Mark, not sure if its much use, but I use a piece of software called BBflashback for video training creation and they offer a product called flashback connect (free at the moment) which would allow you to point to a url.

In regards to my last post, in the course window click "add an activity or resource">"file"> and in the file picker select the files one by one using the add file button. As I said I am not sure if this is what you want.

I initially put my files in the repository before attempting this rather than moodle trying to upload large files, I do the same for all files as moodle does not seem to like uploading large video files (20mb+)

In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Mark Whitington -

Thanks Simon,

I understand where you are coming from now.

Adding files from the repository can as you say be added one-by-one or as a zip then unzipped within a Moodle folder. Set "main file" then works. That said I believe the files are imported into Moodle rather than linked... adding to the overall course file size. 

Attempting to reduce the course file size has been the driver for this experiment. 

BBflashback looks similar to the screen recording software that we use. Thanks for another alternative.

Cheers

Mark