Moodle 2.8 link to Amazon S3 presentation

Moodle 2.8 link to Amazon S3 presentation

by Mark Whitington -
Number of replies: 10

Hi,

I have successfully linked our Moodle 2.8 to the Amazon S3 repository using the two keys.

I can see the files from the File picker access to Amazon S3.

I have uploaded a Articulate Storyline presentation (all files/folders expanded) but can't get it to play, when linked to Story.html

The folder has been marked as "Public".

I can play the presentation by using a direct URL link but want to link via the Amazon S3 Repository path.

Can anyone guide me further?

Cheers

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Whitington

Re: Moodle 2.8 link to Amazon S3 presentation

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Seeing as nobody has answered this, I'm going to ask a stupid question in case it moves it along.

What do you mean by the "Amazon S3 Repository path" (as opposed to direct URL)?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mark Whitington -

Thanks Howard for your question... happy to show... perhaps better than my description.

"Amazon S3 path"

Using the "add a file" resource... file picker. (attached Story-path.jpg)

(I believe this would indicate a successful connection between Moodle and Amazon)

Story-path.jpg image

"Direct URL"

Using the "add a URL" resource. (attached URL.jpg)

(This URL link works but exposes the address that we would prefer to hide)

URL image

Thanks

Mark

Attachment story-path.jpg
Attachment url.jpg

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Mark

I think the issue here is that when you use the repository, you copy the selected file into Moodle. But you are not copying all the other files. So if the selected html file uses relative links, then it will be searching for the swf file and the image files in the same directory. Since the file was copied into Moodle's own file system, and the other files were not, they are no longer in the same directory, and it will fail.

There might be a clever workaround to this, using a file system repository, but I am not too sure about that.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Mark Whitington -

Thanks Justin.

I am getting a sense that a repository is just where you pull files into Moodle from rather than linking to.

It is now clear that only to select one file as I did would fail as the other files were not still linked.

Cheers

Mark

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

Use the upload a file option, then upload all files as 1 and name it whatever you like.

This has worked for me.

In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Mark Whitington -

Thanks Simon but I am unclear as to how you do that.

Do you mean that I should zip up all files into 1?

Hope you can clarify.

Thanks

Mark

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Try this - direct link to the section in the documentation explaining  how to display websites on Moodle where you have the whole folder of materials and you display them by telling Moodle to link to just the 'index.html' file. I think you can use the instructions to do the same for your presentation: Displaying a website index page

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Whitington -

I Mary,

Thanks for the response.

We have been able to upload each presentation into its own folder in Moodle... then set the 'main file" as "story.html" (similar to "index.html" as you described. This works well if all presentations are stored on the Moodle server.

As my client wants to record two presentations per week including narration I was hoping to store and access (play) the presentation from outside Moodle. This strategy would reduce the course file size.

I believe now that I misunderstood the idea of "Repository". My understanding now is that files may be stored in a "repository" like Amazon S3 ; Dropbox etc. but still need to be uploaded into Moodle to run.

The URL link to Amazon S3 looks successful... just need to tidy up the security settings. I hope to limit access to users coming from our website.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Cheers

Mark

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

HI Mark, not sure if its much use, but I use a piece of software called BBflashback for video training creation and they offer a product called flashback connect (free at the moment) which would allow you to point to a url.

In regards to my last post, in the course window click "add an activity or resource">"file"> and in the file picker select the files one by one using the add file button. As I said I am not sure if this is what you want.

I initially put my files in the repository before attempting this rather than moodle trying to upload large files, I do the same for all files as moodle does not seem to like uploading large video files (20mb+)

In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Mark Whitington -

Thanks Simon,

I understand where you are coming from now.

Adding files from the repository can as you say be added one-by-one or as a zip then unzipped within a Moodle folder. Set "main file" then works. That said I believe the files are imported into Moodle rather than linked... adding to the overall course file size. 

Attempting to reduce the course file size has been the driver for this experiment. 

BBflashback looks similar to the screen recording software that we use. Thanks for another alternative.

Cheers

Mark