Deleting users with no name fails

Deleting users with no name fails

by Chris Swaffield -
Number of replies: 1

I'm trying to delete a bunch of users who for some reason have no first name, last name, or email address. So, when I go to the Browse List of Users page, I get a bunch of pages of results that are blank entities (they have only a student number).  When I go to Bulk User Actions, and filter with user names is empty, it gives me a list of accoutnts with blank user names. That's good, but when I go to delete the selection, it give me the error of "only lower case letters allowed." The accounts, needless to say, are not removed. My moodle site is version 2.7.9. Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Swaffield

Re: Deleting users with no name fails

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sounds like a job for phpMyAdmin or something GUI (I use Webmin's tool for MySQL) to view and edit the mdl_user table.

The real question that should be researched is how did those entries get there?

Using LDAP authenication (or other) pointed to top level of the LDAP (just the DC's) would bring across 'junk' to Moodle ... no firstname, lastname, email address associated with what could be a machine object in LDAP.

Allowing self-account acquisition and registration?   Maybe hit by a bot?

Bulk user uploads automated?   Anyone checking the actual contents of the csv file generated by whatever for validity of the data?

'spirit of sharing', Ken