Moodle 2.9 - Random questions - Set up and Marking Scheme

Moodle 2.9 - Random questions - Set up and Marking Scheme

by Graham Moir -
Number of replies: 2

I have a question bank where the marks available for a question vary from 1 to 6.   When I set up a quiz that chooses n random questions from the question bank, all of the questions shown in the list default to one mark, which is fair enough as at that point it isn't known which actual questions will be in an attempt at the quiz. 

But at runtime if there are say 6 random questions in the quiz, with one question chosen from the bank worth 6 marks,  3 worth 4 marks and the other 2 one mark, Moodle uses the default maximum mark of 1 for each random question - at least in terms of what is presented to the person taking the quiz.

If I edit the quiz and change the maximum mark to 6 for each random question, then Moodle presents each question as being worth 6 marks, no matter how many marks have been specified for a question in the question bank, although when the quiz is graded, Moodle does seem to take into account the marks available for a question and adjusts the mark awarded to be out of 6 rather than 4 or whatever.

So what is the correct way to set up the quiz with random questions, when questions have a varying number of marks available?

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graham Moir

Re: Moodle 2.9 - Random questions - Set up and Marking Scheme

by Susan Fleming -

Hello Graham

We are at 2.7.9 and are encountering the same problem.  Did you manage to find a solution?

In reply to Susan Fleming

Re: Moodle 2.9 - Random questions - Set up and Marking Scheme

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The quiz is working the way it has been designed. It is not designed for different students to get different questions that are worth different numbers of points.

Your best bet is to separate them by category (6 point questions, 4 point questions, etc.) then ensure that each student gets 2 x 6-point questions, 4 x 4-point questions, etc.