Cross browser redirection from Moodle to another website

Cross browser redirection from Moodle to another website

by sas ss -
Number of replies: 6

Hello, I have a question that I do not know if it is Moodle related or php related; in all cases I have a Moodle website (A) and another website (B) (running mssql and asp), website B is the old learning website, I want that a student logins on Moddle (A) once he/she clicks a link he would be redirected to B (a designated page in website B that needs a username and password) without having the need to login again in website B. Both platforms are on the same server I can set the same user passwords if needed in both platforms. Any help would be appreciated!   

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sas ss

Re: Cross browser redirection from Moodle to another website

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I don't know if this has been done like you want to before, but there would not be any reason it couldn't be done, as long as both passwords are the same. There may need to be some rather clever PHP coding, and you will likely have to ask for help in the Developer's General Forum, but I would think this is doable. 

Programmatically, you would need to capture the User's id and password, which is not too hard, set up a redirect to the second Moodle, sending the information, which would receive the userid and password, and they should be in. If you want them to land directly into the course, that might be a little more tricky, you will have to make sure that they are definitely enrolled in that course. There is likely a number of other issues, but nothing that I would think would be a project killer. But then, I am not a developer. Good luck.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

by sas ss -

Thanks for the quick reply, will make sure to post there

In reply to sas ss

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Perhaps MNet? (I don't think you need to post again in the General Developer forum) If this conversation gets too techy I will move it there.

In reply to sas ss

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It will almost certainly require some development work - at both ends. I don't recommend 'capturing the password' - you don't want to be storing the passwords in the clear, even temporarily. Generally some sort of web-service based process can be put together quite easily involving a shared secret or one-time token. But... you're going to need a developer. It's not a couple of lines of code. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by sas ss -

Thank you for your help... please where to start from Moodle tokens, webservice or any available plugin? since the other side would implement and abide by what Moodle requires, please anybody can guide me through the first steps? so I would be specific with both side developers, thanks again

In reply to sas ss

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I suggest contacting a Moodle Partner who can implement this for you wink