by Ryan Majerus -
Number of replies: 4

Has anyone had a similar problem with math equations not showing up?  I think 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ryan Majerus

Re: Math Equations not displaying

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Ryan, it might help if you let us know what version of Moodle you are using and whether you are an Administrator or a Teacher or a Developer. Is this your test site or a production site? 

Generally, when this happens it means that a filter is not working. Depending on the version of Moodle you are using will determine what is not working. If you are using an old version then the Mimetex is not working, If a v2.0-2.3 or 2.4 then the TeX or Mimetex filter you had is not working. If later then it is the MathJax filter. 

How do you insert the equations? Through an interface, or directly? An interface will likely be MathJax. Could be anything otherwise. Your equation does not seem to be using the MathJax delimiters to open and close the equation. 

Another possibility is that what is displaying is the alternate text, rather than the image, in which case the image builder is not working. 

The only time these things stop working is if something changes. So, what changed? 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have had the same problem in Moodle 2.9+ when I had BOTH TeX notation and MathJax filters on in the same course. When I finally remembered to turn off the TeX notation filter in that course, everything started rendering correctly.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In Moodle 2.9+,  if both filters are active, MathJax should work even if TeX notation fails as long as MathJax loader is before TeX notation in the filter list. AL, you may have them backwards. An advantage of using both is loading speed. However, from what it appears above, the TeX filter is not working on the given expressions.

In reply to Daniel Thies

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks Daniel, as a matter of fact, I do have TeX notation first right now as I was doing some experimenting. It is just a test site as I no longer actively teach. Some days, I don't even have the server turned on as I am mostly doing "Honey do's" now days. big grin