Allow access until bug

Allow access until bug

by David Conrad -
Number of replies: 7

Using 2.8.4

Re: Assignment settings/ Restrict Access/ Date/ Available Until/

Having trouble when using the date of November 2, 2015 00:00. Normally this displays as "Available until end of 1 November 2015" -- but instead displays as "Available until end of 31 October 2015". Of course when we change this to November 1 2015 23:55, the assignment display shows with this information. We can use this as a work around for the meantime. But is there a deeper issue with the calendar, time table, etc? Has anyone else experienced this? 

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 5.03.53 PM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 5.04.13 PM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Conrad

Re: Allow access until bug

by Andreas Panagiotopoulos -

I have also experienced the same problem.

To overcome this issue you can change the step at time selector to one minute instead of five minutes. So you can set availability at 31 October, 23:59.

You can do this by editing MoodleQuickForm_date_time_selector function of lib/form/datetimeselector.php file, about line 83-84:

$this->_options = array('startyear' => $calendartype->get_min_year(), 'stopyear' => $calendartype->get_max_year(),
            'defaulttime' => 0, 'timezone' => 99, 'step' => 5, 'optional' => false);

Change 'step' value to 1 instead of 5!

Does this work for you?

Regards,

Andreas

In reply to Andreas Panagiotopoulos

by David Conrad -

Hi Andreas, thanks for your reply. My client would prefer it to work like any other day, using 00:00. I wonder what is going on with November 2nd to cause this?

In reply to David Conrad

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi David,

I'd also love to know what is going on with November 2nd! I tried and failed to reproduce the problem on http://demo.moodle.net/ (running 2.9.1). Does the problem affect all assignment activities in the course?

In reply to Helen Foster

by David Conrad -

Helen, 

Yes it does affect all the activities in this course. I got the same result when making the same changes to another assignment in another module. I haven't tried other courses yet. 

In reply to Helen Foster

by Paul Nicholls -

This sounds suspiciously similar to MDL-39190 - David, are you/your clients by any chance using Safari?  And does Daylight Savings Time start or end that weekend for you?  There's a very annoying bug in Safari related to the way it handles DST, which can result in it changing the day erroneously - but (when I last looked into it) no sign of any intention to fix it at their end, leaving us to find ways to work around it.  In the case of date pickers (as opposed to date/time pickers), the workaround is to use midday rather than midnight - but that obviously doesn't apply when you're actually trying to set the time to midnight...

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by David Conrad -

Paul, Thank you for your insight. Daylight savings time, fall forward, starts at 2 AM Nov 1st. I appreciate your help!

In reply to David Conrad

by Paul Nicholls -
Glad I could help point you in the right direction - sorry I can't offer you an actual solution (other than "don't use Safari")!  Although I'm not sure if there's actually anything that can be done to properly resolve the issue, it'd be a good idea to file a ticket on the Moodle Tracker (and list MDL-39190 as related) - that way, at least there's a solid record of the specific issue for other people to find.  Naturally, if you do find a better way to deal with it than simply telling people to use a different browser, please then provide details on the ticket and/or here in the forums smile