Newbie? - Backing up a Large (>6G) Course

Newbie? - Backing up a Large (>6G) Course

by Tim Edsell -
Number of replies: 5

v 2.9

I've tried to backup a course whose Activities and Resources exceeds the 4G threshold.  I am trying to debug the issue but cannot find the correct log/report which will point me to the error.

Attached is the error message I receive.  Is this error message due to a Moodle setting or is it coming from the server?

Suggestions?

Attachment InternalServerError.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Edsell

Re: Newbie? - Backing up a Large (>6G) Course

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

In your version of Moodle there should be in the Site Administration > Development > Experimental menu an option to change the backup to a *.tar.gz format, which removes the 4gb barrier. Well, there was, I am not sure if it has been moved to another option now or it has been dropped in the latest releases. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Now, the .tar.gz option is always used. That is why the option has gone.

So, that is not the reason it is failing.

Does setting Debugging to developer level give any clues about why this might be failing?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Oh good... and that will make life a little easier, thanks Tim!!!!

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Really you should say thank you sam marshall (for developiong it in the first place MDL-41838) and Eric Merrill (for making it the default/only option MDL-49298).

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Edsell -

Hi Tim,

Here is what I found in the error_log:

[18-Aug-2015 10:08:23 America/New_York] PHP Notice:  You should really redirect before you start page output<ul style="text-align: left" data-rel="backtrace"><li>line 889 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to debugging()</li><li>line 2649 of /lib/weblib.php: call to core_renderer->redirect_message()</li><li>line 279 of /backup/util/ui/base_ui.class.php: call to redirect()</li><li>line 99 of /backup/util/ui/backup_ui_stage.class.php: call to base_ui->cancel_process()</li><li>line 136 of /backup/util/ui/base_ui.class.php: call to backup_ui_stage_initial->process()</li><li>line 113 of /backup/backup.php: call to base_ui->process()</li></ul> in /home/coxnscho/public_html/lib/weblib.php on line 2924

[18-Aug-2015 10:09:02 America/New_York] Default exception handler: A required parameter (contextid) was missing Debug:

Error code: missingparam

* line 463 of /lib/setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown

* line 548 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to print_error()

* line 31 of /backup/backupfilesedit.php: call to required_param()

Not being a programmer or a certified sys admin, I'd like to learn what these messages mean and how to correct them.  (I'm ok w/editing php files)

Thanks!