Are almost all Web Services very difficult for an individual to get a username for and pay for?

Are almost all Web Services very difficult for an individual to get a username for and pay for?

by Ryan Atwood -
Number of replies: 0

Hi community,

In a day or 2 of research, I am finding that there are a lot of Web Services and REST services out there for many things like Kelley Blue Book, Amazon, etc. Probably more than I would have guessed and many that I'd like to try out and use.  However, it also appears to me that almost every one of these services requires a fee, username, and password to be able to use it (which then gets included in the SOAP envelope, etc.). 

Take Kelley Blue Book for example.  They have a really nice set of Web Services that I'd love to use for an app I'm doing at home for fun (family budget stuff).  However, it seems I cannot use this without paying some kind of fee.  

What is the worst is that it seems that the only way to get such a username/password for many of these services is find out what the fee is by emailing the support email address listed on the site (i.e. programmableweb.com) only no one ever seems to email me back.  I'm happy to pay a basic fee, but I'm kind of stuck and frustrated.

Am I way off course? Has this been your experience also? I would really love to get car prices and home repair/replacement costs from a web service or REST service ANYWHERE and am willing to pay, but alas....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan

Average of ratings: -