Embedding PDFs in book module?

Re: Embedding PDFs in book module?

by Rossana Mandich -
Number of replies: 2

Alternatively you can:

1. upload your pdf file in the orphaned activities as "file" (there are a number of tutorials on Youtube on orphaning activities in moodle).
  2. Choose "show" (but it will remain invisible to students, as it will be in the orphaned activities).
  3. Copy its link and paste it into this HTML code, substituting the red string   <center><embed src="yourdomain.com/mod/resource/view.php?id=443#toolbar=1&amp;navpanes=1&amp;scrollbar=1" quality="low"height="540" width="720" /></center>
  4. Copy the resulting new HTML code and paste it into your Book page (using the HTML tab).

If your pdf file is already on the web, just copy its link and paste it as above - no need to place it in the orphaned activities.

Hope it helps!

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Rossana Mandich

by Matt Jarlett -

Hi Rossana,

Thanks so much for the above.

I'm using v2.9 and your instruction all work except for the last point about PDFs that are already on the web. I can't seem to get them to work.

I am copying and pasting its complete URL over the above red section of the html script. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Matt

In reply to Matt Jarlett

by Nigel Pegram -

I am experiencing a similar problem. To try to identify where the issue is I'm using a Page resource. An embed of an external JPEG works fine. An embed of a PDF is blank. The two resources come from the same server and both can be accessed publicly when clicking on the link used. 

Are there limitations on embed codes?