Designing a course

Re: Designing a course

by Lesli Smith -
Number of replies: 0

Hi, Loudy.

It is good to know that you are planning to launch this course for two different modalities (blended and fully online). It may help to focus initial design plans completely on the online version as almost everything you write for that will be adaptable for the other version. The online version will need much more explicit directions and many more navigational cues, and it is natural that most people, myself included, tend to leave some of those out when designing lessons where we know we will be able to explain x, y, or z in person. Thinking about the course page and materials as the student's only point of contact forces you to be more explicit just about everywhere in course materials design than you otherwise would be.

Next, keep looking at models. The MOOC site I pointed you to and the demo site Mary pointed you to have very good models. I also found the Tool Guide for Teachers by Joyce Seitzinger and adapted for Moodle 2 by Gavin Henrick to be very helpful as it provides at-a-glance analysis of functionality and purpose for your set of Moodle activities. If you want to design it so that the activities control timing for students (ie. it is two months worth of learning contact time/expected engagement time, but your are okay with it if it takes them eight months to complete it or even a year) the conditional activities Mary mentioned combined with some of the restricted access settings in your activities will allow you to set up your learning path parameters. These settings need to be enabled by a site administrator under the Advanced Features area in the site administration panel. Once they are enabled, you will be able to play around a bit with how they work, but I encourage you to map your conditions offline first. Don't start putting in your conditions in the system until you have a really good idea how you want the activities to flow one into the other and which one needs to be the main trigger for the unit final, etc.

Finally, I'd like to encourage you to take a look at your outline and start annotating places where you might want to branch out and add mini-formative checks for understanding, etc. as that will be a whole new advantage for you in this format. It will also help you start seeing where static resources such as files and books won't be enough--where you may need to use lesson module activities or other activities that will actually allow students to build models for each other going forward (ie. a glossary or database).

Please keep posting as you have questions. We will continue to check in with you here. Best,

Lesli