Cannot reply to forum

Cannot reply to forum

by Sandy S -
Number of replies: 2

When I create a forum for students, they can see that one has been posted but when they go to reply, they cannot.  The forum worked fine until we upgraded to Moodle 2.6.  Attached is a picture of what we see when they try to read the post and reply.

Any thoughts?

Attachment discussion forum.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sandy S

Re: Cannot reply to forum

by Katherine Robeson -

Hi Sandy - a few of thoughts:  

1) Check the type of forum to be sure that it allows students to reply freely.  The Q&A type forum will not permit a reply until the learner has made an initial post, for example.  https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Forum_settings#Forum_type

2) Literally login as a test user to confirm this is actual end-user experience.  Sometimes "login as" will leave some elements visible that are not actually visible to the learner and also create some unusual behavior in the system.

3) Check to be sure that learners have permission to view and reply to the forum.  Occasionally, instructors will tweak the permissions on a course activity to allow or prohibit actions in that specific course and that specific activity.  

I hope this is helpful.  

In reply to Katherine Robeson

Re: Cannot reply to forum

by Sandy S -

Thank you for your response Katherine.  However, I have checked all of those things already. It happens to everyone who is trying to use forums.  We can set the forum up.  The students can see the forum was made but when they click on it, they cannot see the question or a place to respond. 

This is also happening if we try to use online text.  You can type in the box and see everything that was written.  Once it is saved and the student or teacher goes back to read it, the text is no longer there.