Trouble migrating a moodle site

Trouble migrating a moodle site

by Marleila Springer -
Number of replies: 11

Hello,

I am in the process of migrating a moodle site from one host to another. The current host does not offer cpanel, but the new one does. I have requested the site backup files from the current site. I was given the database & the moodledata zip files. I uploaded the database in the mysql database I created on my new server, and the moodledata under the public_html file. Even though both sites are version 2.9.1, there were SEVERAL plugins needing attention. I updated as many as there were updates for. I also did the search and replace tool at mymoodle.com/admin/tools/replace/index.com. But my migration still looks nothing like the current site with the old host. Is there something the host did not give me? Or is there another step I'm missing? I tried to check the config.php file under the public_html file, but all looked right. I'm now at a loss as to what to do next. Help!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marleila Springer

Re: Trouble migrating a moodle site

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

When we talk about 'moodledata' we normally mean the files area pointed to by $CFG->dataroot in config.php that contains uploaded files, caches, temp file etc etc. What it does not contain is the Moodle code. If that's what it is then the last place you should be putting it is in public_html.

Having said that, you have obviously got Moodle running to a certain extent so you must have got the Moodle code from somewhere. I think there's some vital info missing here?

Anyway, it might help if you give some specific examples about how it looks 'nothing like'? Is it just that you had a custom theme on the old site? If you had any custom code and you don't have copies of it then you will need to get that code from the host. 

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
What you need to do is explained here:
https://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_migration
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Marleila Springer -

Ok. That's the article I was following. But I realize the theme and plugins are what didn't migrate over.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What does 'migration still looks nothing like the current site with the old host' look like?  Screen shot that doesn't expose things would be nice.

Might be a typo (index.com????) ... but never hurts to double check ...

What search and replace did you use ... specifically ...

Search: http://oldsite/[moodle]/

Replace with: http://newsite/[moodle]/

It was/is important to include the "http://" in front of the FQDN's (fully qualified domain named) of the sites and end with a "/".   In the example above, "[moodle]" *IF* the moodle code was in a 'moodle' directory.

Was the old site running https?

You must be able to login if you ran search and replace, so suggest purging the server cache by going directly to the URL: http://newhost/admin/purgecaches.php

Might also clear your local browsers of any cookies/cache for the site(s) before diving into it again.

Above in addition to what has already been suggested.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Marleila Springer -

Ken, you are right. It was .php, not .com. I put in the correct url for search and replace, just did a typo in this message. Thanks for the catch...

So I just finished chatting with support (they are on IST time, so I can either submit a ticket or chat late in the evenings with them). They are telling me everything I've done is correct, except the info I need is in the Moodle Folder on their server. This includes the theme and plugins. They are telling me this belongs to them, so they won't give me access to it. The only option I was given was to provide login info to the new site so their support can go in and try to install the missing items for me. sad

Again, this is why I'm trying to move away from them. Everything is locked down so tight, I cannot do much on the site. And there's about a year's worth of work that has gone into this site. It's a business site, and I and my business partner cannot afford for it to be entirely changed because of this host. So thanks for the guidance. I'll continue to try and muddle through this dilemma, and hopefully get it resolved before we have to renew our contract soon. sad

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Luckily themes and plugins can be installed directly from inside your Moodle web interface so that should not be a huge issue.  Go to Plugins/Install New Plugins and install them from there.  If you got your database and moodledata, the reinstallation of the plugins should bring your site back to normal.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Marleila Springer -

I agree, except that the installation said I was missing 117 plugins, we've been working on this site for a year, and I don't know how many are specific to the old host only, and not standard plugins I can easily access with my new site install. My thoughts are that I am not the first person, nor will I be the last, who needs an entire site migrated, and that they have policies and procedures on how this can and should be done.

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Ask your old host for a copy of the Moodle CODE folder. It will contain the code for those 117 missing plugins.

Then you'll have:

1. Your origional Moodle database
  2. Your origional Moodledata folder
  3. Your origional Moodle code

When you have that restoring the site onto the new host should be simple.

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Marleila Springer -

Thank you for clarifying the terminology. I think that's what they are telling me "no" about. But I'm still working with them. Hopefully I can finagle it out of them!

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, there are policies and procedures but it is your host that is holding you hostage by not letting you have the Moodle Code folder.  I suspect that you used one of their installer programs so I suppose it is technically theirs.

If you are currently hosted by one of the Moodle partners such as MoodleRooms, then it is definitely their code as they have implemented plugins that are specific to them.  Migrating a site away from somewhere like that is definitely different as you are currently with a company that is giving much more than just a place to put your site.

Another reason to always install from scratch and not use a Quick Installer from your Host!  Unfortunately, your only option right now is to reinstall the plugins that you can and hope that you get everything that you need.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Marleila Springer -

Yes, I totally agree. I've come into the picture far after the fact, and, though my experience is limited, I was at least able to show my business partner that the current host had her locked down so tight. I just didn't realize it'd be even this difficult to get us onto another host account. I think both of us have learned A LOT about the differences in hosts and what's provided!

As always, thanks again everyone for the input. I really appreciate it! We'll get this thing migrated, somehow!