Error: database driver problem detected

by Onur Kalafat -
Number of replies: 4

I installed moodle today, however I take this error message

The site administrator should verify server configuration
PHP has not been properly configured with the MySQLi extension for it to communicate with MySQL. Please check your php.ini file or recompile PHP.

Please help

(Edited by Howard Miller to make subject sensible - original submission Saturday, 8 August 2015, 12:01 AM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Onur Kalafat

Re: I need help

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Before anyone could offer specific suggestions/fixes, a little information about the system would be handy.

Windows/Linux?  Remotely hosted?  Versions of PHP, MySQL installed? etc.

Basically, it appears php doesn't have the php-mysqli extension installed/or loaded.  Suspect there are extensions that need to be turned on or installed.  Just like it says ... check the php.ini file.

This might help:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ

https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/PHP

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Onur Kalafat

Re: Error: database driver problem detected

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I will take my best guess at the problem... you probably do not have the MySQLi extension turned on on your server.  My guess is that when you turn it on, that this particular problem will go away.  However, you might have one or two other problems with other extensions not being turned on.

Do you manage your own server?  Do you have tools like cPanel available, that make it relatively easy to turn on various extensions?

Do you have any clue about what I am suggesting?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Onur Kalafat -

I use cpanel. However, I do not know, how to activate Mysqli extension. Please help againsmile

In reply to Onur Kalafat

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Here is a screenshot from my hosted server showing what I turned on within cPanel when I pick "Select PHP version."  Notice that mysql is turned on, along with other extensions that I thought were needed.  Maybe others here can tell us if any of these extensions are or are not really needed.  These settings are the ones that I have learned to turn on based upon some of my experience.  Also notice that I am picking php 5.5., which really turns out to be 5.5.20, which is plenty good for Moodle 2.9.

On my VPS, this is done though EasyApache on WHM.  I assume that you have a hosted server, but let us know.

Attachment Changed php settings.jpg