Moodle Developer online course launching 1st October

Moodle Developer online course launching 1st October

by Stuart Mealor -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone

This is to announce a new 100% online course specifically created for Moodle Developers.  The course is designed and facilitated by Justin Hunt, well known contributor on these forums, and creator of plugins such as PoodLL, Genrico, MyTube, YouTube Anywhere, and YouTube Submission, Skim Import, and Blog Export.  The course is part of the HRDNZ (Moodle Partner) online MoodleBites courses series, which includes courses for Moodle teachers, designers, theme creators, and administrators.

The course content is being finalised now, but you can see the full course description and details at http://www.moodlebites.com/mod/page/view.php?id=19542

• How to start a new plugin from a template or existing plugin
  • How to add a settings page to a plugin
  • How to add and use capabilities in a plugin
  • How to avoid XSS vulnerability in plugin
  • How to use the Moodle database API
  • How to add/upgrade database tables in a plugin
  • How to use Moodle Quick Forms
  • Using Moodle's automatic class loading system
  • How to run adhoc or scheduled tasks in the background
  • How to implement backup and restore in a plugin
  • Separating display from business/database code in renderer classes
  • Overriding core renderer classes
  • Adding and retrieving files via the Moodle file system
  • Using language files for internationalizing your code.
  • Adding breadcrumbs, menu items and managing navigation

Next year the course will have a fee of somewhere between $800 and $1,000 but the pilot which starts on 1st October this year is discounted to $500, so it's a great chance for developers in this forum to get a cheap price, and just as importantly give our team some feedback on the course design and content smile

We will answer any questions here, you can email our helpdesk[AT]hrdnz.com directly, or just register for the course by visiting http://www.moodlebites.com and click on the 'Register Now' link on the front page.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Stuart Mealor

Re: Moodle Developer online course launching 1st October

by Farhan Karmali -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi 

Thanks , this sounds really wonderful , wanted to ask if you have something planned for intermediate developers . I am already familiar with most of the topics , or is there a way intermediate knowledge developers can join this course for less ?

Also I hope Moodle starts some officialcertification for Moodle development similar to the Moodle teacher certification

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Farhan Karmali

by Stuart Mealor -

Thanks Farhan, that's useful comments.

This is a new course, and until we know the demand, and have more comments like yours, we don't know if an higher level developer course will be commercially viable (if enough gut people will want it).

As MCCC manger I would love to have an official Administrator and Developer professional development programme (which I'm happy to manage and coordinate) , but that needs backing from Moodle HQ, which isn't as enthusiastic as it could be.

In terms of your question about intermediate developers getting a lower fee, the best thing I could say is to register for the pilot, which is 50% off !

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Guido Hornig -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hey Stuart, 

Justins and your expertise is unquestioned and I think its a great offer. I am really interested into the developer course after spending way too much time writing plugins and filters on my own. How much can your course speed me up?

But even the $500 is a lot of money for me as a single freelancer - could you explain a little more, what the weekly experience is and show some learning material? 

You say, its the first and you need to know the demand - but there are already a number of modules announced on the site. How experimental is the design of the course?

How much personal support do you offer during the course?
What is the most exciting thing to tell about the course, compared to other courses you have done?
You have not mentioned a development environment. Do we need to use eclipse or others for the course?

(I had a bad experience with MCCC (Germany) , there was no feedback for the quiz in 2013 - I still do not know what I did wrong.  And I do not want to repeat this experience.)

In reply to Guido Hornig

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Guido

Thanks for getting in touch. I am really busy now getting the course ready and as I go it is changing and taking shape. The content may change a little yet, since we may be trying to cover too much in 8 weeks.

In terms of personal support, I will be available throughout the course via email and forums. If people are interested we could do a live weekly webinar/QA thing. In my experience that is not always a big sell, because of time zones and people's individual schedules, but I am happy to do it.

My general approach to learning is that "doing is everything." So for each learning objective I will provide text documentation, some screencasts, code examples and then assign a specific development task. I would like students to post completion evidence/feedback related to the task in a forum or database activity. Of course that is optional, but the greater the participation the better the learning. 

So the course will be less a "reference manual" and more like a series of tutorials followed by exercises. The initial course is likely to be small, probably capped at 20 people. So I should be able to deal with individual support, and that I suspect is where you had problems before. 

The other aspect of this is that this is the first course. So we are very interested in what you want to learn, and how you want to learn it.  It won't be perfect first time, but the plan is to keep improving based on what the participants report.

About the money. All I can say is that I am a single freelancer person too. I don't pay $500 (or $1500!!!) unless I am pretty sure it will make me that much money back. If there had been such a course, and I had taken it, a few years it would have saved me a whole lot of time. I did it all the hard way. I can't make the decision for you, all I can say is that this is the course I wish I had taken way back then. 

I hope that helps.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)