All calendar events not showing for students

All calendar events not showing for students

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 5

Using version 2.9.1

I created a calendar on the dashboard page. I imported some events via the Calendar URL iCal feed from our school district page. It imported fine as a "SITE" event import.

Then, I attempted to manuall add a new event and labeled it as a "USER" event. It shows up on my calendar. But this is where the trouble started...

All the "SITE" events I imported show up fine for students. However, the "USER" event I added does not show to students.

Additionally, there was no dropdown option for adding "COURSE" or "GROUP" events on my calendar (I am an admin)

On the students calendar, the "EVENTS KEY" shows all four categories (GLOBAL, COURSE, GROUP, and USER), and if they hide the global events, it does work. However, no other events show to students.

So, why can I not see all four event types when I add an event, and why can't students see the user event I added?

One other clue to this is that global (SITE) events and COURSE events are the same color on student calendars. 

I tried the permissions, but couldn't see anything there that seemed to apply

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Moody

Re: All calendar events not showing for students

by Doug Moody -

Just trying to keep this one alive...

Anyone with ideas?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Алексей Кадин -

Ok, I'll try.

Do you choose a course from the dropdown before adding a new events? If there is no dropdown, are you enrolled to any course? If no, is the option "Admins see all" turned on? This can be the reason for having an ability to create only site and user events, without course and group events (and when you are able to create course events, you will be able to create group events only if there are any groups in the chosen course). Students are enrolled in some courses, so they see all four points.

So, if this is the reason, you should turn on "Administrators see all" option in Administration--Appearance--Calendar. Or enroll yourself to the courses you want, which is many times less convenient.

And about the other - site events are seen by everybody from wherever. User event are personal and are seen only by the user that created the event (by you in the case).

In reply to Алексей Кадин

by Doug Moody -

Алексей Кадин

Thank you for pointing me to that control. However, that did not help. I already had it checked.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Алексей Кадин -

Well, I'm continuing to ask silly, but necessary questions.

Do you choose any course from the dropdown before trying to create an event? Because in v. 2.7 and higher, if you do not choose one course in the calendar overview, you will be able to create only site and user events.

Aleksei

In reply to Doug Moody

by Kathryn Davis -

Concerning User events, I believe you are describing what students should be experiencing. Students should not see a User event added by you. A User Event will only be visible by the user currently logged in (i.e. the one creating the event).

https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Using_Calendar