Moodle site back up

Moodle site back up

by Joanna Beaver -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello 

I would like to run a Moodle site back up but am unsure which folders I need to back-up, or if it is all of them? I use a hosted/shared server and am accessing the files through Filezilla. 

Below is the top RH quadrant on Filezilla - should I download the entire Moodle folder?

Filezilla Top RH quadrant

Or do I expand this Moodle folder, search within it and just download the moodledata folder?

Filezilla Moodledata Folder

The moodle site back-up docs said that as well as the moodledata folder there is another thing that should be downloaded: 3. The Moodle code (For example, everything in server/htdocs/moodle)

I cannot find what this folder is?

As you might have guessed I am a non-coder and have tried to work this out but just need a bit of guidance to point me in the right direction. 

I can export the MySQL database no problem.

Any help would be much appreciated!

smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joanna Beaver

Re: Moodle site back up

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Because your moodledata folder is within your moodle folder (a big no-no by the way!!) you just need to download the entire Moodle folder and then grab your database.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Joanna Beaver -
Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Emma!

I began to download the entire Moodle folder the other day and it was still running after 4 hrs so I stopped it thinking I must have done something wrong! It is only a small site still in development with no learners. Does that sound normal, taking so long?

From the looks of it, all of the files are within the Moodle folder. I will be moving to a Moodle partner to host my site asap...

In reply to Joanna Beaver

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The time to download depends on what you have loaded into the site that would affect the size of the moodledata folder (lots of video for example) and your connection speed...  you might just copy it another folder on your host.