Automated course back-up: 'Save to' location

Automated course back-up: 'Save to' location

by Joanna Beaver -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Plugin developers
I have set automated course backups that are running as scheduled, but my 'Save to' link is not working. Could anyone tell me which URL should be pasted into there? I use a hosted/shared server. I have tried using the URL for my local computer but it is not working and I guess a server link is required but with it being hosted/shared I am unsure which link to put in. Any advice appreciated! Thank you smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joanna Beaver

Re: Automated course back-up: 'Save to' location

by Joanna Beaver -

Hello, I wondered if anybody can help me? I have been talking to my hosting provider since 24/07/2015 but to no avail.

I have explained that I need the URL to a file on the server in which I will direct the automated course back up to store its back up files, and I believe it should look something like this: /srv/clientdata/na01/webinarssb/autobackups. 

At the moment I can only generate an sftp URL from Filezilla that looks something like this: sftp://u78936019@s520393070.websitehome.co.uk/backup. Moodle doesn't seem to accept it (I get the x at the side rather than ✓)

They have said today:

"The automated back up will only be saved in the Moodle dashboard therefore it is not possible to access it via a Web URL. However you can copy the back up files then save it on your PC or you can also manually download the back up copy of the files then reupload it into the webspace place it in the folder /backup. If you really want to access the back up files through a Web URL then we suggest that you can contact Moodle Support about this. Thank you."

I think this is incorrect, that the whole point of entering the URL is to automatically save the files outside of Moodle to protect them, and that I should not need to go in every day and manually download them, and then upload them to my file on the server.

Is the issue that I am on a shared/hosted server and so it is not possible to get an srv URL? I am a bit stuck and would appreciate any advice.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It is most certainly due to your host and really depends on your setup.  However, Moodle, should be able to see a folder on your "server" without a url.  Have you tried creating a folder outside of the website and directing automated backups to that folder?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Joanna Beaver -

The host advised me to create the folder as below (the one called backup): 

when I grab the URL to that it is the sftp url from the previous post which, when inputted to Moodle, gives the x 

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

What happens if you just put in /backup?

by Joanna Beaver -

it looks like it still won't accept it. the X is there after saving changes

by Emma Richardson -

I would keep trying - you had mentioned a string earlier with /svr/etc.... did you try that one?  Basically your Moodle folder should be able to see the rest of those folders - check back with your host and ask them what the Path would be (not the url) - if you can get the actual path, that should work...

by Joanna Beaver -

The srv link from earlier was just an example that I found on a help-page. I have not managed to obtain one for my folder but think that is what I need.

I will try the host again and see if I can get the actual path as you suggest.

Thank you for your help smile

by Joanna Beaver -

Just to close this off, I found the correct web server path, added the target directory to the end of that path, and now have fully functioning automated backups saving themselves in the file specified. Thanks Emma for your support.

Here is a link that is specific to my hosting provider (this is by no means an endorsement of them!) but may help others find the correct pathway or at least point them in the right direction for what to look for.

Find the full server path to your webspace

by Benjamin Waller -

Hello @Joanna Beaver

I am trying to achieve the same as you here but am at a loss to know how to get the correct path to an external folder location that is writable on my Google Drive or Sugarsync or even my laptop as a last resort!

The Moodle docs don't really give examples of what this might look like when setting this up over the server of the site!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben