Snap theme breaking Moodle

Re: Snap theme breaking Moodle

by Paul Hibbitts -
Number of replies: 4

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your message, happy to share a few highlights here.

We conducted a series of unmoderated usability tests using loop11(http://www.loop11.com/) with the same course design using the Clean theme and the Snap theme with students who were mostly already familiar with Moodle. The tasks tested were the following:

• Locate the link to email the course instructor 
  • View your marks in the course so far
  • Determine the weekly topics that will be covered in the course
  • Locate the due date for the next upcoming assignment
  • Read the description for the next upcoming assignment
  • Review the overview for the current week's class
  • Post a sentence to a discussion forum

Interestingly the task completion rates for both themes were similar, except that the task of viewing grades within Snap proved to be difficult and contacting the instructor the same in Clean.

The differences though came through with the qualitative feedback regarding the two themes; clean was (ironically) often referred to as being cluttered, with too much going on while Snap was more often referred to as being easy to learn/read and clean. Based on these results the recommendation was to proceed and use Snap for a live course and see how the theme performed during a course vs. isolated test tasks. Through the generosity of my client detailed test results were also shared with the Snap design team.

I hope you, and others, find the above information helpful.
Paul

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Paul Hibbitts

by Derek Chirnside -

I've just posted some thoughts on Snap here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=323863

I'm really interested in your testing tasks.

I quote, with changes to numbers:

1. Locate the link to email the course instructor 
  2. View your marks in the course so far
  3. Determine the weekly topics that will be covered in the course
  4. Locate the due date for the next upcoming assignment
  5. Read the description for the next upcoming assignment
  6. Review the overview for the current week's class
  7. Post a sentence to a discussion forum
Surely 3, 4, 5, 6 will be dependent on Design approaches?  ie in any given theme it can be easy or hard to DO these, and then well or poorly implemented.

This list of questions implies a certain narrow mode of lock step weekly task and mark  - find your grade routines.  Navigation issues, choice of descriptions, terminology etc are critical here.  

In some reviews I've seen, you can DO all of 1-7 easily - but in a time consuming way, but we then have other issues: boring, maintenance nightmares (renaming a bunch of topics to suite new dates etc), lack of nice feel to a course.  So the other issues are around speed and simplicity of course creation by regular staff.  Little things like the extra functionality in the teacher view can help.  But there is little else in avoiding the scroll of death in a section and so on - apart from the wonderful new icons for files.  But who wants to base yet more courses around files?

I wonder how the whole course review went Paul?

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Paul Hibbitts -

Hi Derek,

For the test tasks we tested the same course (which followed a lot of unwritten Moodle standards I would say), using a modified Clean theme and Snap. This was pretty basic in setup, so overall things worked ok with both themes except for the two tasks mentioned.

Unfortunately the pilot test with a live course did not happen at the expected timeframe, but Snap remains a possible path for us in terms of improving the student experience.

Cheers,

Paul

In reply to Paul Hibbitts

by Derek Chirnside -

"unwritten Moodle standards"

I wonder what these are?

Thanks for the update.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Paul Hibbitts -

Sorry for the poor choice of words smile. I meant that the course chosen for the usability test had content/blocks arranged in a manner familiar to the institutions students involved.