searching all course glossaries facility wanted

searching all course glossaries facility wanted

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi!

In the process of adding new entries to one of the glossaries in one of my Moodle courses, it happens that I want to add an already existing entry. This occurs because I have several fairly large glossaries in this course.

What happens is that Moodle will let me enter the entry and the definition only to send the warning message "Could not insert this glossary entry because this concept already exist [sic]." after I have finished, which is frustrating and a waste of time.

One facility which I would like to see implemented in Moodle is a "search ALL of this course 's glossaries" box, where I could at least find out whether an entry has already been made before entering it again.

Even better, I would love a "search ALL glossaries in ALL of the courses I teach" facility, so I could copy and paste any entry I happen to have already entered in any glossary of any of my courses into a new course.

Maybe a workaround already exists?

Any help appreciated,

If there is enough response I might even post a bug/suggestion report.

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: searching all course glossaries facility wanted

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
No one else interested in this feature request?
Come on!mixed
Joseph

Yup: searching all course glossaries facility wanted

by Vu Anh -

I don't have a cure for you; just to share that I find glossaries are one of things I like the most from moodle features.

I 've run into that a few times, then concluded that I should check to see if the entry exist. The problem is, there are more than one glossaries. Should I cry out loud, or go to other glossaries to check, or just rely on my memory ? I think many people will be glad to see the glossary search box to have option to search all glossaries.

Vu Anh

by Just H -
Hi all

Has there been any movement on this issue?

H

by Joseph Rézeau -

In response to popular demand (a grand total of 3 people including myself sleepy) I have posted this as a feature request #4818.

Anyone interested can vote for it (you need to have created an account in the bug tracker to vote).

Joseph

by Just H -
Hi all

There is actuall a block out there that does exactly that (looks like it's been around since last November).

Only just stumbled over it when looking at functionality I haven't yet implemented - seems to work fine in 1.53+.

I use CVS to maintain my site and the block can be found at contrib/block_search_glossaries/moodle_15.

Kind of highlights the issue of documenting what's out there better - which is getting better every day thanks to numerous people who kindly donate their time to the documentation project; and will hopefully be totally resolved by the new data module in 1.6 smile

Regards
H