Courses restriction by language

Courses restriction by language

by Phil bob -
Number of replies: 6

Hi! I am new to Moodle 2.9.1 and I have multilingual content. The problem I have it's that if the student chose "English" or "French" language, he will have access to the two language courses... and they are different.

I know how to restrict activities and resource INSIDE a courses, but not the entire courses.

I have try "Force language" too, but this way I will need to do French and English courses separately so the translation function is useless at this point. I mean, I use "multi language content" plugin too.

I have also thought of doing restriction to roles or groups to limit access in particular language and can't find out how to do that.

Also, I have thought: "Oh, I just have to set the default language to new user!"  Like French per example, but no option when creating user and they can manually select his preferential language.

Can someone help me with this? Thanks!

Regards,

- Phil Bob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phil bob

Re: Courses restriction by language

by Phil bob -

No body have any idea how to restrict a complete courses by language, including translation, without having to do 2 different courses?

Any suggestion?

In reply to Phil bob

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This isn't really any different to, "how do I restrict users from accessing courses about elephants" or whatever wink

The real answer, is don't just let your users access any courses they like. Can you add them manually or use enrolment keys? 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Phil bob -

Hi Howard Miller!

I think you haven't understand my question, perhaps I should say it differently;

We have 2 language as now and we want to use translation field for each courses to let student chose the language they want when they subscribe. The problem is that we don't want French user, per example, to see English version of translation because the French and English courses are different. (And there is the problem, if you subscribe to a courses, you have access automatically to all translations) And we don't want to have multiple language content in the first page, (Imagine that, we will translate 18 courses in 5 language, this make a lot of stuff in the course syllabus at the available courses page...) Otherwise we shouldn't have use translation at all and maybe installing 2 Moodle platform (One in french and other in english and soon, other language). But now, the updates, theme changes, enrollment, etc would be pain in the a... That's why we think that there is probably a way to restrict courses by language or, maybe, force user to use only one of the translation.

Thanks for your reply.

- Phil

In reply to Phil bob

by Robert Brenstein -
Your second explanation is still not clear. For example, what is the "translation field for each course"?

I suspect that you want to control course visibility by the language of the user. If so, this does not exist in standard Moodle. There was a discussion about this just recently. It is not as simple as you think unless custom coded for your specific situation.

Why is it a problem that users who subscribe to courses in let's say English see that you also offer courses in French? Normally, this would be a selling point.

Running a separate Moodle instance for each language is an option if full separation is really what you need. You do not even need to have a separate program installation but use multi-tenancy approach.
In reply to Phil bob

by Jaswinder Singh -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Phil,

I think probably restriction by language plugin can do it for you. https://moodle.org/plugins/view/availability_language

Don't forgot to mark useful if it is of any help to you.

Hope it helps!!

Jaswinder Singh

In reply to Jaswinder Singh

by Phil bob -

Thanks for all answer guys, but it actually doesn't do the trick... I will try to do more research about what my client really need. Otherwise, they just should try to play around.

I have already the restriction by language. Work great, but it doesn't hide the courses, but the selected content.

Thanks anyway and have a nice day all!

- Phil