Moodle by eThink - Anyone using them?

Moodle by eThink - Anyone using them?

by Jerry Lau -
Number of replies: 6

Hello folks,

We are approached by these folks to convince us to migrate our in-house moodle to their platform instead.

I have never heard of them? Anyone using their services and what is it that you like about them and what they can improve on?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jerry Lau

Re: Moodle by eThink - Anyone using them?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well.. they are violating the Moodle Trademark for a start. 

I would encourage you to (at least) talk to some Moodle Partners if you are thinking of doing this. At least you know that 10% of their Moodle income goes directly back into Moodle development. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Jerry Lau -

How exactly are they violating the trademark?

(Edited by Howard Miller - original submission Thursday, 30 July 2015, 8:16 PM)

In reply to Jerry Lau

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It says Moodle all over their front page. Which is a trade mark - which I know for a fact that they do not have permission to use to sell services. 

Just for the avoidance of doubt - we will not be having a discussion about the rights and wrongs of this. I'm too old for that wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Jerry Lau -

Good... I was going to nix them too anyway LOL

In reply to Jerry Lau

by Sheau Yun Choo -
We are actually discussing with them  about hosting possibilities.....
In reply to Sheau Yun Choo

by Jerry Lau -

Because of privacy and confidentiality issues, we need to know how and where they store their data and whether they can connect with our SIS (Ellucian Banner). We are in Canada so we need to carefully guard our student's data & privacy.

So far, it's been okay with us so they would need those key information first before we even consider them.