Does suspending a user restrict emails to that user?

Does suspending a user restrict emails to that user?

by Frank B -
Number of replies: 4

Do updates to the main SITE NEWS forum on the frontpage with FORCED-SUBSCRIPTION email users with suspended accounts?

I'm suspending accounts for students that mark our campus email as SPAM on hotmail. If you get enough people doing that, it cause hotmail to block all emails from your server.  So I rather just suspend the accounts of those few bad apples instead of causing an outage to all my users on Hotmail.

So it suspension enough, or do I need to go into their profile and change their email addres manually to something else like HOTMAIL.NULL so that it goes nowhere.

Using Moodle 2.8.7.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank B

Re: Does suspending a user restrict emails to that user?

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I stumbled on your message because I stumbled on the same issue.

I discovered today that updates to the main site news on the front page are send out to suspended accounts. Further, they get email from all forums with forced subscribes at least - suspended users are listed in the subscriber list. I don't know if that is a bug or a feature.

I'm suspending replacement teachers, because they tend to come back occasionally. I might need to review that approach. I keep your .null solution in mind wink

In reply to koen roggemans

by Frank B -

It should definitely be an option whether to send email to suspended accounts or not. Your IP reputation is at stake.

In reply to Frank B

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I looked a tiny bit further into this: suspended users are still on the participants list of their courses too. So it seems like the only functionality to expect from this setting is that users can't login anymore.

So it can't be used for the use cases you and I had in mind. I think in your case, messing up the email address is a good approach and I will just have to delete and recreate the user accounts.