LDAP Authentication Remote Server

LDAP Authentication Remote Server

by Jeff Mitchell -
Number of replies: 5
Hello,

I am trying to get a Moodle 2.8.x configuration connected to our Active Directory server.  I get the following error: LDAP-module cannot connect to any servers: Server: 'x.x.x.x', Connection: 'Resource id #80', Bind result: ''

I have a MoodleAdmin user and have the bind settings as follows:

'CN=moodleadmin,OU=Moodle Admins,DC=wls,DC=wels,DC=net'

The Moodle install is located at a cloud based virtual server and the AD server is on our network.  The x.x.x.x is the public IP of our Exchange Server.

I am not sure where to go from here.  I had this working on a test box but both servers were in house.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

Jeff 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Mitchell

Re: LDAP Authentication Remote Server

by Sam Stevens -
What os is the virtual server using? If it is windows based you could try using https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb963907.aspx AD Explorer just to test if you can connect to the server at all.

If it isn't windows based then any windows laptop on the internet would do the job. I know there are various linux alternatives but it would be best to minimise the variables just to test if it does work.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I would suspect your address and port are wrong.  Do you have it addressed as ldap://ip.adress.here and using the standard port?  I know of no AD server that would use port 80 for ldap...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Jeff Mitchell -

I have tried ldap://IP.ADD.set.here:389 with TLS on and off and get the same Resource id #79, Bind Result error.

I know the ports are open on my firewall.

Not sure what else to do.

by Jeff Mitchell -

I have also used 636 as the port with no success.

I can log into a PC on the network so I know the credentials are working for the bind user.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you look on the documentation page for LDAP you will see a link to LDAP.exe - windows tool to help you figure out problem.  Does your bind user have the correct permissions?