Student Modelling/User Modelling

Student Modelling/User Modelling

by Dean Turner -
Number of replies: 8

Hi there,

Does Moodle support student modelling or user modelling? I couldn't find any documentation about it. Your answer will be very helpful for me.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dean Turner

Re: Student Modelling/User Modelling

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I don't understand your question

In reply to Marcus Green

by Dean Turner -

Hi, Marcus. 

Student model includes all relevant information that the system has gathered about the learner, such as their learning styles so this information can be used as a basis for providing suitable adaptivity. 

In reply to Dean Turner

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle stores information about students and what they have done in the system. It has no specific reference to the concept of learning styles in its implementation or in the initial philosophy that drove its design. 

In reply to Dean Turner

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Dean,

Which schema of learning styles are you referring to? Coffield et al (2004), which was a conservative review, identified 71 schemas, each with their own sets of learning styles. There are many more out there.

You'll need to be a little more specific.

Reference

Coffield, F., Moseley, D., Hall, E., & Ecclestone, K. (2004). Learning styles and pedagogy in post-16 learning. A systematic and critical review. London: Learning and Skills Research Centre.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Dean Turner -

Hi, Matt,

it's Felder-Silverman learning styles. But actually I've been thinking about creating an independent Student Model database for my system that can connect to Moodle. 

In reply to Dean Turner

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Dean,

Normally, creating student profiles and keeping records is the job of a student information system (SIS) rather than an LMS, although there's usually some overlap.

An important issue with tracking learners' preferred learning styles is that in practice they tend to be adaptive and strategic, i.e. when learners are given a choice between modes (text, images, audio, or video), they tend to use the one that they think will be best for the task/objective rather than what they've declared on learning styles inventory lists (actual vs. declared preferred learning styles).

How do you propose to track and analyse learners' behaviour during learning activities to determine their actual vs. declared preferred learning styles? I think this will tell you what kind of system(s) you'll need to put in place in order to gain adequate insight so that it is reliable and actionable.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Marcus Green -

I always found the learning styles theory deeply implausible.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Yes Marcus, I would not have agreed a few years ago, but now... There is a vast difference between what is reasonable and what reason, or logic, tells us is reasonable, I have often found. But pointing out the emperor has no clothes can be a dangerous past-time..smile