Controlling the release of content based upon course progress, not calendar dates

Controlling the release of content based upon course progress, not calendar dates

by James Addoms -
Number of replies: 1

We need a little advice about a controlled release of content. We have about 1000 learners in our organization who will be participating in three different “courses”: New Hire training - Open to all employees always, Employee Development - Open to all employees but we only want to show 4 SCORM packages/month (out of dozens) and Leadership Development – open by invitation.

We’d LOVE to use the XP function within those groups, but I don’t know if the XP plug-in works across courses. This part isn’t critical.

I’ve done a few test runs and it looks like the easiest way is to have all new hires added to the new hire and employee development training automatically (via LDAP) and just shut off the content by date that we do not want them to see – and add the Leadership folks a la carte.

The problem is that we’re working with 120+ different SCORM packages, some with quizzes and job aids built in, some with links to quizzes and resources we’re uploading to the course.

I’m looking for a logical way to manage this. The overarching issue is that we do not want those employees who have extra time to burn through learning content. We want to make sure each can only take 4 a month. Ideally I’d love a setting that allowed us to release new content after 30 days depending on the learner. It looks like I can only unhide content based on Calendar dates, not time intervals.

Right now, I’ve divided the employee development groups into three tiers with 4 cohorts each, and each cohort with 4 courses available. In other words, each month employees are only able to see 4 courses. If they’ve finished the courses in the month, great – they’ll see new content shortly. If they haven’t, those courses will be hidden (to prevent a backlog) and everyone will still see the new content. The problem is that this will result in an enormous course page (from an admin perspective) and it will cause problems for those who don’t have time to take courses during some months.

Ideally I would like two rules in effect to govern content:

Has the learner completed 4 courses in 30 days > Yes – wait 30 days from the start of the first course and then release 4 new modules

Has the learner completed 4 courses in 30 days > No – Do nothing until all 4 modules have been completed and then follow rule 1.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to attenuate content so that (1) no one jumps ahead in a course and (2) no one gets locked out of courses because they missed a window? I don’t see any way to control-release content based on learners themselves.

Average of ratings: -