Cleaning up old-style files in moodledata.

Cleaning up old-style files in moodledata.

by Dave Balch -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I have a Moodle installation on 2.7, having been gradually upgraded over the years from 1.7.

Although moodlecourse | legacyfiles is set to No, the moodledata directory for it still contains a bunch of numbered directories containing file resources from before the File API.

Am I right in thinking that it should be possible to delete these with impunity?

Cheers,
Dave.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Balch

Re: Cleaning up old-style files in moodledata.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Only if the materials are not being referred to elsewhere. I would take them out by moving the directories, check any course that might use the materials and if it is all good, then delete. 

However, in education, if you stand still long enough, they will catch up to you...smile  I would archive rather than delete, even if the archive is off the Moodle server, or to a hard disc stored elsewhere. All networks should have a data store, which contains stuff going back decades in some cases, The issue is that the technologies change so rapidly, that they can date to the point where there is no equipment left to access the data. For the most glaring example of this was last week when I saw someone finally tossed out 3.5 and 5.25 inch floppy discs that had been in the store room. We do  not have any floppy disc readers anywhere in the network, but we still had the discs, so I hope they haven't tossed out anything important without it being on CD, DVD or BluRay somewhere, even a tape... Wonder what will happen when usb will no longer support v1 devices? Or CDs can  no longer be read... be a while but will happen I expect. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Dave Balch -

Hi Colin,

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. We already have backups, but I'd better check how long they live before I do anything drastic smile

Cheers,
Dave.

In reply to Dave Balch

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It's been a while since I've had the same situation ... back when migrating a 1.9 to a 2.2.x ... yes, the moodledata directory did contain serveral course ID folders from the 1.9.  If I re-call correctly, one should see a moddata in each of those and contained therein more numbered directories   Inspection of contents, concluded that those were assignments students turned in.

Safe to erase them all.

Now if there is something else ... might inspect.

Everything should be going to moodledata/filedir by now! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)